Front deck questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

codydegelia

Reaction score
Hey y'all,
Been a lurker for awhile, and this is finally my first post. I've got a 1448 alumacraft. I'd like to extend the front seat clear back to the middle seat as a casting deck and add a couple of hatches. I would like to use aluminum for the decking and bracing. Those that have done it, how are you attaching the braces? Sheet metal screws, rivets, or weld? I need it to be plenty sturdy. As far as the aluminum for the deck, is ⅛" going to be sturdy enough? I'd like to do it right so that the boat will be sturdy, safe, and last for a long time, but I am on a budget.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I used 1"x1" aluminum angle and 1/8" sheet to frame out my extended front deck that then got custom hatches attached. It is very solid and sturdy. I used 1/8" sheet for my floor. The floor was attached directly to the cross braces on the bottom of the hull and to a piece or two of angle towards the bow due to the mod V shape of my hull. Not sure on the exact spacing between the cross braces under my floor, but if I had not filled that space with closed cell foam sheets the floor would definitely sag when stepped on. 1/8" is plenty sturdy enough as long as you space your bracing appropriately. My angle is secured through the hull using solid rivets. Everywhere else I used closed end blind rivets. My floor is secured down with closed end blind rivets as well.

Here is the point in my build when I started framing everything out. https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=26774&start=180

Latest posts