Grandpa's Fishing Buddies Fix up - 14' Sears Jon boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bvmoney

Reaction score
Hi guys, I acquired this boat when my grandpa past away last year. I have many memories of him and i in and out of this boat. He taught me and my cousin everything we know about fishing, hunting, shooting, anything outdoors. So i wanted to make it into the best fishing boat i could. I stumbled upon this website last week and Im loving every second of it. Since then i have started work on this boat to get it up to fishing/grandpa standards. Ive started the frame work and got it about 70% there, but i have a few questions on replacing the transom wood. It has rotted out and def needs to be replaced, but the problem is: there are rivets where the handles are in the back and i dont know what i need to do to replace them or the wood. Any suggestions would be great. Here are some pics of the progress so far. Its taken me about a full day to get to this point. Sorry for the crappy pics, taken with my iphone.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 938
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 931
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 935
I would just drill out those rivets and replace them with some stainless bolts, just seal them up real good when you put it back together.

bvmoney said:
seal them with what?

3M 5200 Marine Sealant. found here: https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=2002&engine=adwords!6456&keyword=3m_marine_sealant

I also found mine at Home Depot for 10 bucks for the same size tube. It cures completely after 7 days, at which point the stuff is like a rock. So if you plan on taking it off, get the 4200 instead, but that is for above the waterline, not below like the 5200.

that will be a nice boat when you're done, my boat was my grandfathers too. really helps to keep those memories alive every time you go fishing. we would always go out to his farm and work in the mornings, then spend the afternoon fishing at one of his farm ponds. those 10" lunkers were plenty big enough for us back then. Keep up the good work.

little update. Got it all carpeted now just waiting on the seats. Then paint!

And the reason y we do it all!

Attachments

• 1 (Medium).jpg
    1 (Medium).jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 928
  • 2 (Medium).jpg
    2 (Medium).jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 928
  • 3 (Medium).jpg
    3 (Medium).jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 928
  • 4 (Medium).jpg
    4 (Medium).jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 931
Be careful on your first trip out on the water... I've got a 1432 lightweight aluminum Sears boat here at one of my ponds and that thing is tipsy without raised floors...

Thats my concern, especially with the 11" seat risers. But raised floors? What diff does that make?