Grumman Freighter canoe

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes it’s a short shaft
And I have 4 props for it .
8/9/10/11 pitch
1985 Seahorse 15 HP love this motor especially going back up stream with a moose and load.
Thanks for the photos! A buddy gave me a steal of a deal on a 19' grumman freighter and I plan to set it up for hunting in Idaho and Montana. Not sure what motor size ill go with yet. How often do you swap the prop pitch?

I used to have a 17'4" Old town Square stern.. ( Poly not tin) . Loved that boat. Miss it regularly. It would do 23MPH (loaded with 600# of gear and people) with a 5 hp Tohatsu 2 stroke. Let me tell you 23 MPH in a cano is scary!

Thanks for the photos! A buddy gave me a steal of a deal on a 19' grumman freighter and I plan to set it up for hunting in Idaho and Montana. Not sure what motor size ill go with yet. How often do you swap the prop pitch?
Not very often but I always carry spare prop when hunting. I mainly got 3 props 8/9/10 the 10 pitch work satisfactory and was stock the 8 has noticeably more pulling power and slightly higher RPM the 9 pitch has the best of both the 10 and 8 so that’s what I run the most with a moose camp load on the river. I have a manual lift and an extra 9.9 Mercury but my 1985 - 15 HP Johnson is my sweetheart .
I suggest to you 8HP Yamaha 2 Stoke short Shaft only 58 pounds

Not very often but I always carry spare prop when hunting. I mainly got 3 props 8/9/10 the 10 pitch work satisfactory and was stock the 8 has noticeably more pulling power and slightly higher RPM the 9 pitch has the best of both the 10 and 8 so that’s what I run the most with a moose camp load on the river. I have a manual lift and an extra 9.9 Mercury but my 1985 - 15 HP Johnson is my sweetheart .
Smart move. Any boat that runs in shallow water should carry a spare prop IMHO. In this case, a 19' freighter would be a heck of a paddle back to the put in site ! :oops:

Smart move. Any boat that runs in shallow water should carry a spare prop IMHO. In this case, a 19' freighter would be a heck of a paddle back to the put in site ! :oops:
Their is no paddling the rivers are 2 swift you can drift down easy and fast and sometimes get in trouble if not under power but going back up a good 8Hp to 15 Hp is needed. You can’t paddle up the Wood River or Tanana River

How hard is it to lower that lift while running? I assume the spring system keeps it up for the most part. Also does your lift attach above the Gunnel or under?

How hard is it to lower that lift while running? I assume the spring system keeps it up for the most part. Also does your lift attach above the Gunnel or under?
Maybe this will help you !
I have a chain with links on handle but I just tied small rope loops and just loop around the handle for certain depts of river. Mostly I run at one setting and forget about the Lyft. Very nice to have. And if I get into real shallow water just tie it off at the highest level and save your arm strength. I have the spring adjusters set for the 15HP at the halfway mark, so I got room up and down !

Attachments

• IMG_0542.jpeg
    IMG_0542.jpeg
    33.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0540.jpeg
    IMG_0540.jpeg
    29.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0539.jpeg
    IMG_0539.jpeg
    28.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0536.png
    IMG_0536.png
    98.2 KB · Views: 0
8HP Yamaha 2 Stroke only 58 pounds most excellent. Changing Prop Pitch not very often I mainly run 9 pitch on 15 HP Johnson for everything hunting. But I always take a Jesus Nut and extra prop 8/10 pitch with pins with me hunting.

Last edited:
I used to have a 17'4" Old town Square stern.. ( Poly not tin) . Loved that boat. Miss it regularly. It would do 23MPH (loaded with 600# of gear and people) with a 5 hp Tohatsu 2 stroke. Let me tell you 23 MPH in a cano is scary!
Speed is not my friend, slow and careful in swift Alaska waters. It could be very lethal here if you go in.