Hello and my project.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xjarhead1999

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have been lurking a few weeks here looking at all the great builds. Thought it was time I registered.

Been wanting a small jon boat for awhile now. Something around 10 to 12 foot is what I wanted. Every time I seen one listed it ended up sold quickly. The other night one was listed at a decent price, or so I thought. I got a 77 10ft Gamefisher and an old Minn Kota trolling motor for $175. I jumped on it late at night. Generally they are sold quickly so I didnt want to delay on getting it. I knew the boat had some repairs done to the boat and it leaked a little. I took it out for a quick spin yesterday to see how bad the leaks are. Well I ended up about sinking it.

Come to find out there was a crack in the bottom back of the boat. There was a patch job done to it but I am pretty sure I tore the patch out when I scraped the back end against some rocks while launching. Now I will have a lot of work to do and figure I would do the best I can and also do a few mods to it. Today I started to strip it down and realised that whoever done the "repair" work dont a very poor job.

Anyway here are a few pics of what I currently have.
20120809195430170.jpg

Here is the ripped place.
20120809195300657.jpg

If you can tell at some point some rivets were removed and replaced with screws and bolts. Some have steal washers and some have homemade square aluminium washers. I think they were from coke cans.
20120809195442296i.jpg

20120809195321217.jpg

As you can see im going to have a lot of work ahead of me. The first thing I am going to do is strip it down to bare metal. There are a few layers of paint and about a gallons worth of silicone and pound of putty on the boat. Also plan on taking all the screws out also. From there I plan on tightening all the good rivets and replace the ones I can. Im not sure what I will do about where the screws are. I may weld the holes up and just redrill new ones. Im open for any suggestions.

One thing I am considering is just ripping out every rivet, bench, and brace in the boat and weld up every hole in the thing. beat and bang on it until I can get it as straight as I can. From there I will reinstall the benches and braces from there.

Well there is my story so far. with my schedule I only get a day or so every couple weeks to work on it. Hopefully this wont take me very long to get this out in the water.

Hey xjarhead1999....

First, Welcome to the TinBoats family. We're happy to have you on board.

Looks like you have a nice project ahead of you. If you can weld that aluminum...you have a great skill that a lot of us don't have. Keep us posted on your progress, don't forget to post pictures, and good luck.

BTW...where are you from? You might want to add that to your info. You'd be surprised as to how many new friends you can make.

Latest posts