HOSS's 1977 12' Lowe Jon Boat Conversion

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hossman_24

Reaction score
I paid $600 for the boat, trailer, 4 hp johnson, and a 30 lb. thrust minn kota.
I plan to put two small decks in it and repaint the boat, trailer, and motor. This is my first boat so im new to all of this. I'm open to any suggestions or any ideas. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, HOSS.

Attachments

• ed.jpg
    ed.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2,580
  • ed2.jpg
    ed2.jpg
    764.7 KB · Views: 2,573
  • ed3.jpg
    ed3.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,572
Nice..

Becareful, she might get tippy with a high deck..

Can you please put your location in your profile?

I see the boat reg #s are from Ohio.. I am in WV..I thought I saw a boat like this on craigslist last week..

didn't notice earlier. Sorry. When I get to a pc I will. I'm on cellphone right now. Kinda hard to do it from this device

Done. Thanks

Cyber, as far as I know this boats never been on craigslist, I've owned it since last October. I'm just finally get'n a break from school and drug 'er out of the weeds.

Hey Froggy, i finally got some measurements. its 36" in the bottom, 46" across the top of the seats, and 53" from side to side. do you think thats too narrow?
I sketched my plan but I may change it to a front seat cut-out like Bufford's. I'm gonna do some experiments and decide. The guy that owned this before me put an aluminum subfloor from front to back. If everything works out i'm gonna leave the middle one in for a nice floor and it'll be lighter than wood.

Attachments

• sketch plan.JPG
    sketch plan.JPG
    346.2 KB · Views: 2,353
  • sketch plan 2.JPG
    sketch plan 2.JPG
    267.5 KB · Views: 2,352
  • sketch plan 3.JPG
    sketch plan 3.JPG
    262 KB · Views: 2,352
After lookin at my benches, I think the cut out deck might be best. The aluminum is busted up and foam is fallen apart. I've been thinkin' bout doin a cut out deck in the back as well since I bought a set of 13" pedestals. I'll try to get some pics of what I have so far, parts wise to put in. If anyone has any suggestions let me hear 'em. If it were your boat what would you do?

Attachments

• sketch plan 4.JPG
    sketch plan 4.JPG
    319.4 KB · Views: 2,231
And the collection begins! I ain't got a whole lot right now but its a start. As of right now I have (6) Roberts Attwood rod holders. Probably won't need 'em all but couldn't beat the price, $25. Also, I have a pair of WISE (Mossy Oak) seats i got off of ebay for like $80. Finally, I have a pair of Springfield 13" posts that have spring tops and Swivl-Eze bases that I got off of ebay, too for $50.

Attachments

• parts for now.jpg
    parts for now.jpg
    732 KB · Views: 2,209
Does anyone know if "Rust-Oleum" will stick good to aluminum.
And, what can I use to strip the old paint and carpet glue off.

hossman_24 said:

Use airplane stripper to get the paint off and then rustoleum is only good for the inside. You something more durable on the outside. Look at Froggys thread for a good paint job. Painting is all about the prep work.

Looking good Hoss! I like your second design better, except I would leave the back bench, you might want to off set your seat a bit in the back so its more comfortable to use your motor tiller, plus its a place to lay stuff, put boxes ect.

Thanks! A couple speedbumps came up this past week thats slowed progress! hopefully things smooth back out so I can get this boat done and on the lake! Yea Froggy I see what your sayin I've been doin alot of thinkin and designin. Haven't quite set my mind to one certain idea yet. Thanks for the information guys.

Hey Guys Sorry It's Been Awhile Since I've Posted Anything! I've Been At Training In Carleston, WV For VERIZON!! I Should Have Some New Stuff Again In The Next Couple Weeks!! Don't Give Up On HOSS's 77 Conversion!

hossman_24 said:

Rustoleum will work as long as you prep the boat right and use self etching primer for bare spots. I used Rustoleum High Performance check out my mod.

Latest posts