How to get sparkly paint... like a real bass boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bobberboy said:
Once when coming home from the lake a glitter boat passed me - the trailer alone was worth more than my whole outfit. Anyway, I decided then and there that someday I was going to give my 1236 a new coat of olive drab with glitter in it. If I could figure how to get dime-sized pieces I would do it. Who cares if the fish slimed it, I'd be stylin'.

Well Ill tell you how we did it years ago, On the Cheap!! I have no Idea if you can even buy the Glitter anymore, But my Brother was a Drywall Contractor, He put the Glitter in houses then, It was Just pieces of foil, He had 2 Colors, Silver and Gold, His Son Had to have a Glitter paint Job on His Old Pickup, His Dad didn't want to pay a body shop in Springfield Mo. to do it, So they Came to me with it, I painted Trucks For 30 Years, So I know how to paint,

I told him, Ill put the paint on it, you put the Glitter on, And ill Seal it in with Clear! He had a Thingy that worked like a Grass Seeder, Small Hopper and crank, He held it up, Cranked the handle, Waved it around and filled the air with that stuff, I put 2 Heavy Coats of Candy Apple Red Enamel, With a whole lot of Repair Hardner in it, on the truck, Soon as the paint got out of the Air, He came behind me with the Glitter, I mean a lot of it!! I let the Paint Flash and put a heavy coat of clear on it, Sealed that Stuff in!!

I dont want to tell you to do this, Because if you do, And screw it up, Then it will be a sticky mess, But we did that 4-5 times over the years in 60ies early 70ies, Worked good every time, And on that one Pickup, It lasted for years, But he waxed it once a week, And you are talking a Boat?? H.D or Lowes might still sell that stuff, have no Idea, Paint was DuPont Enamel!! :)

"Bank Check Supply" is a company that prints your Checks for the Banks. In that mess of encoded numbers at the bottom of the check is something the Magnetic pickups can detect. On some documents there is some stuff you cannot see, but reflects light back to the reader.

The Ink companies might be a good place to ask about emulsifying glitter sources.

They make clear coat paints with either pearl or light mettalic.That would be the cheapest way.I think to spray metal flake you have to have a special paint gun.Hope this helps,Brian.

Hey if you give this a try please let us/me know how it goes. I want to do the same thing to my fiberglass boat. I want to have the only boat made in the 50's that is decked out in nice sparkley "bass boat" paint. Put some decals on there and pretend I have sponsers. Atleast it will give me something to do while waiting for next season to roll around..

Paint the boat is parts, top, middle and nottom. on the top add the right thinner to slow the drying of the base coat. while it is still wet toss the flakes on it, about 3 lbs needed without a buster gun. now with rubber gloves on pat down the glitter flakes lightly. you may have to add more paint on some areas, but you want it heavy and wet. once the base coat and patted down flakes are dry. clear coat it. the cheapest clear is as good as the most expensive here, get the products that make the clear more flexible.

Seal with three light coats and when they are set, one medium coat to seal everything.

The flakes should all be under the clear coat.

taxidermist said:
Paint the boat is parts, top, middle and nottom. on the top add the right thinner to slow the drying of the base coat. while it is still wet toss the flakes on it, about 3 lbs needed without a buster gun. now with rubber gloves on pat down the glitter flakes lightly. you may have to add more paint on some areas, but you want it heavy and wet. once the base coat and patted down flakes are dry. clear coat it. the cheapest clear is as good as the most expensive here, get the products that make the clear more flexible.

Seal with three light coats and when they are set, one medium coat to seal everything.

The flakes should all be under the clear coat.

Forrest Woods gonna be on you Guy, For giving his Secrets away!! :lol: =D>

White River Washington County