How would you fix this?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antoine

Reaction score
I found some erosion around some transom bolts. I took the bolts out and clean around with brass wire brush dremmel tool. One noticeable hole turned out to be several. The wood in the transom seems to be solid. The other bolt is not corroded as bad. What would be the best fix to get me through the season. I plan on replacing the transom wood over the winter.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    945.3 KB · Views: 607
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 607
Clean it up really good and use JB Weld or some sort of marine epoxy. I've done a few holes on mine and haven't had any troubles for three years now.

consider a big washer alu (probably have to make it out of 1/8 plate) over the g-flex or JB over each bolt hole to keep flat..Or if its a std 4 bolt motor mount make a plate large enough to cover all 4 holes after g-flex or JB.And all will stay flat.There is some electrolisis in that area for some reason was that bolt/washer/nut diff than rest ..check your motor anodes and or replace them.Also wire brush with SS what you diid with brass brush ..Brass and copper do not get along with alu..You may have left some brass particles in alu from brush...my 2c

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=320131#p320131 said:
cva34 » 24 minutes ago[/url]"]consider a big washer alu (probably have to make it out of 1/8 plate) over the g-flex or JB over each bolt hole to keep flat..Or if its a std 4 bolt motor mount make a plate large enough to cover all 4 holes after g-flex or JB.And all will stay flat.There is some electrolisis in that area for some reason was that bolt/washer/nut diff than rest ..check your motor anodes and or replace them.Also wire brush with SS what you diid with brass brush ..Brass and copper do not get along with alu..You may have left some brass particles in alu from brush...my 2c

X2

Thank you for the reply. I ordered a 1/8 5052 aluminum plate to make some washers.

Latest posts