HummingBird 565

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alumacraft

Reaction score
I have a minn kota 30lb thrust and a bird 565. one of the features on the bird is that it shows the volts you have left on your battery. Lets say my 6 hp johnson doesn't start on my boat and I dont want to oar back to shore, how many volts do u need to have the trolling motor get you back to shore? lets say I go out on a full battery then I use up 3 volts of power on the battery, then say I want to get to shore but the motor doesn't start and Im a mile out. how many volts should I keep on the battery in case of a emergency. say I have 9 volts left on the battery, should I stop using the TM and Bird in case of emergency?

(it sounds confusing but that is the best way I can explain it)

So the question is what is the minimum amount of volts a TM can run on, Yes I know you wont have the same amount of power but...

I think the voltage is somewhat lenient. The amps are what really count. For instance, 24 AA batteries will not run a trolling motor. There just isn't enough current.

I have no idea how to answer your question, but I think you're looking for the wrong variable. Just my .02 AKA nothing to base your future thoughts on. :wink:

This link may help you in your research too. https://www.howstuffworks.com/question501.htm

A fully charged maintenance free, AGM or Gel Cell battery, at 80 degrees F and under no load, will read 12.8 volts. At 75% charge 12.6 volts, @ 50% charge 12.4 volts and at 25% charge 12.0 volts. If you're reading 11.8 volts or less you have a dead battery. You don't use up volts in a battery, you use up the charge capacity. Reduce each voltage reading by .2 volts for standard wet batteries. You're troller will work even at 12 volts but you won't get a lot of performance from it.

I have a 565 and had no idea it had such a feature. How do you access it?