I think i messed up my motor.....

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soccerdan90

Reaction score
I hit a rock on the river today. It was under water and i couldnt see it. It was running fine now it wont accelerate. It just revs up but doesnt go anywhere. The prop looks fine with just a few dents. What did i do to it? I feel sick becausr it was the first time out on it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Most likely you spun the prop. There is a rubber or plastic breakaway inside the propeller that breaks loose so you don't ruin your motor or break gears. Either have to replace prop, or the hub insert inside it. Put your motor in gear (while off!) and try to spin the prop by hand. If you can spin it then the hub is gone.

This is actually a good thing : ) it did what it was supposed to do.

I have seen some failed hubs that don't turn easily by hand. If it passes the hand turn test, I'd mark the hub and prop, and retry in water. If the marks stay aligned, you have a different issue.

Depending on size and age of motor it may have a shear pin.
I had a 5 hp johnson that I used for duck hunting sheared pins all the time hunting shallow sloughs.

Thanks guys. The motor is a 1973 Evinride 25 hp. The prop did seem to mpve by hand easily. Where can i get a hub for it?

I looked in my service manual and it appears that I have a shear pin style in my motor. I will be checking to see if it broke soon. Where do I get this part at? Id really like to fix it soon so I can get back on the water.

Ok well you need to find out if it is the shear pin or hub first. Take your prop off, you should be able to see the shear pin.

Number 4 or part number #0307949 Or you may have a dealer near you? Order a couple of them for insurance against this happening again : )
https://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/JOHNSON/1973/25R73A/GEARCASE/parts.html

Awesome thanks. I will check it today and order me several lol. This site seems very helpful. These kind of forums have saved me tons of money.

Look underneath the motor or inside the cowling, a lot of outboards had extra shear pins in small rubber holders mounted, mine did. Maybe you will be lucky, order some replacements too though.
Tim

Thanks for the tip. I will go look for it now! I think I will stick around on this site. Great help. Once this motor is running I am planning on adding some mods to my 16 ft flat bottom. Maybe a deck and some storage. We will see. I dont want to make the boat to heavy to use with my motor though. Again thanks everyone.

Good to hear, you will be back on the water in no time : )

Even if you add weight you can go down 1 or 2 pitch on your prop and still run virtually the same as when light. Got to get a tach to read RPM's though.

Soccerdan90: Glad it was an easy fix. I have exactly the same motor and have found that a good resource for parts and exploded views of the motor is found at evinrude.com. Just click on online store and then parts...follow the links to your particular motor. Not every part is available through this site, but most are. Those that aren't available can usually be found by doing an online search of the part number. eBay has been a good source of parts too. That's a really great motor! I have two of them. I've considered buying a brand new 25hp motor, but the fact that these old Evinrudes are so lightweight and work so well makes me reluctant to part with them. I think you're going to love it!

txneal said:
Soccerdan90: Glad it was an easy fix. I have exactly the same motor and have found that a good resource for parts and exploded views of the motor is found at evinrude.com. Just click on online store and then parts...follow the links to your particular motor. Not every part is available through this site, but most are. Those that aren't available can usually be found by doing an online search of the part number. eBay has been a good source of parts too. That's a really great motor! I have two of them. I've considered buying a brand new 25hp motor, but the fact that these old Evinrudes are so lightweight and work so well makes me reluctant to part with them. I think you're going to love it!

Thanks for the info. I have only taken it out once and got a killer deal on it. I traded a guy my 1995 seadoo xp for his 16 ft quachita flat bottom, trailer, motor and $250 on top since he couldnt get the motor running. I changed the spark plugs and she fired right up. So I got money to put into the boat!!!! I already love the motor as it seems to be perfect for me.

Latest posts