Ideas needed for trolling motor handle extension

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Taylor

Reaction score
I want to make a handle extension for my Minn Kota transom mount. It needs to be about 4' long, and of course, stiff enough to turn the motor. Any pics would be great, if possible. The handle tapers in thickness from about 1" to 1.25", and it's not round. Thanks.

:WELCOME: Andy,

Thanks for joining! Is the handle the kind that turns the speeds Like this?

minnkota.jpg

Get a piece of aluminum tubing, where the ID of the tube is about a half inch larger than the OD of the tiller. Drill 3 1/4 inch holes around one end, and tap them. Then put a threaded knob through each of those holes, that pinch down on the tiller. Crude, but it should work.

Some company makes some for cheap. I bought one for 20 dollars from Academy and cut the aluminum handle the length i wanted it and throught it on the tiller. The name of it was a HelmsMate

Yes Jim , that looks like the handle. It's for the speed and forward/reverse, and it pulls out about 6 inches. ItThe extension needs to be 4-5 feet long. I'm hoping for something quick and simple, that can just slide on and off. Or maybe use a clamp. Thanks.

How about something like that?

https://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat21276-cat21380&id=0001127012535a&navCount=1&podId=0001127&parentId=cat21380&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IJ&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat21380&hasJS=true

ACarbone624 said:
How about something like that?

https://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat21276-cat21380&id=0001127012535a&navCount=1&podId=0001127&parentId=cat21380&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IJ&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat21380&hasJS=true

I would go with that...If I had any skill I would try bassboy1s idea!

Andy Taylor said:
Yes Jim , that looks like the handle. It's for the speed and forward/reverse, and it pulls out about 6 inches. ItThe extension needs to be 4-5 feet long. I'm hoping for something quick and simple, that can just slide on and off. Or maybe use a clamp. Thanks.

4 to 5 feet long?? I'd go to Lowes' store and get a clamp and a pc pipe :wink:

Welcom aboard too sailor :D

FishingBuds, do you mean PVC pipe? If so, it's too stiff for a clamp to do any good. The 53" one MIGHT be long enough, but I don't want to spend $50. I'm going to go walk around Home Depot and see what I can find. Thanks.

What is the diameter of the handle? I think you could get away with clamping pvc pipe to the handle. Just cut two to four channels into the pipe where it will slip onto the handle. Then get some exhaust clamps and clamp it down tight. I think that would work fine as long as the pvc is under 2" after that it gets much stiffer.

I agree if you cut 3 or 4 slits into the pvc, it will clamp on there fine. I have done that.

What type of clamp do you use? One of those round ones that would be used on a radiator hose? I want to be able to remove it and put it on quick, because I can't leave the extension on all the time(it's too **** long). Thanks.

i bought a short minn kota extension hanle and added a piece of pvc to it to make an extension for my 9.5 evinrude. sorry about the picture but the kitchen had the best light.
SUNP0028.jpg

the pipe is schedule40and i used 2 sheet metal screws to attach it to the handle. i guess i was pretty lucky that the pvc i found behind the shed was already flared. although i guess i could have used a coupling if it wasnt.
2screws.jpg

exthandle.jpg

sch40.jpg

Looks like 3/4" pvc? That flared end worked perfectly. Good way to make it longer on the cheap.