jet boat carnage (whos got pics)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
brianb2247 said:
just put a bilge pump in 1100gph. definitely learned my lesson on that one

+1!!

I have one of those, as well as an 800gph in the bilge of my jet boat, and then a 500gph pump for the main deck. Also, the pressure-fed bilge that goes to the jet unit, I think it pumps around 250-300gph. So, all together, I can pump about 2700 gph from that boat. But around here, with all the parasailing boats, booze cruisers, and ocean cowboys that intentionally throw a 2-3 ft wake, you need that much.

After my hull hole last summer I'm been wanting to install another bilge pump in my boat. Currently have a 750gph, and it couldn't keep up with the 1" x 1/4" gash. My current one is on the starboard side of my bilge. Where should I install a second? Right beside my current one, or on the port side of the bilge? But my port side is clogged up with a spare gas can and anchor.

PSG-1 said:
All these nasty pictures of rock strikes remind me of why I stay below the eastern seaboard fall line with my jet boat! :shock:

PSG-1 said:
But around here, with all the parasailing boats, booze cruisers, and ocean cowboys that intentionally throw a 2-3 ft wake, you need that much.:

That's the nice thing about river running, you don't run into those people. The peace you get is worth the risk. :D

Riverdog said:
PSG-1 said:
All these nasty pictures of rock strikes remind me of why I stay below the eastern seaboard fall line with my jet boat! :shock:

PSG-1 said:
But around here, with all the parasailing boats, booze cruisers, and ocean cowboys that intentionally throw a 2-3 ft wake, you need that much.:

That's the nice thing about river running, you don't run into those people. The peace you get is worth the risk. :D

I agree completely! During the summer, I hate it out here on the inlet. WAY too many booze cruisers with no CFC, and no brains. The beach becomes a giant-drunk fest. On an inland river, I'm lucky if I see another boat, even in the summer time. I just turn around when I see the first set of rapids, rocks, or lateral steps in a river. Going up doesn't scare me...it's the thought of going back downstream, especially if they shut off the flow from a dam while I'm upstream of those lateral steps.

Not sure if this classafies as "carnage" but it could have been if not for .190 bottom with 1/2 UHMW, I hit a rock just below the surface yesterday that moved the right side of the boat up while running about 28 mph. The hit did not sound bad but you knew you hit hard as it lifted the boat up a good deal. After looking at it on the trailer you can see the scratch (new boat) on the bottom, made a small dent but overall did what it was designed to do! Having owned two other .100 gauge boats with no UHMW I can tell you the outcome would have been much different including a possible insurance claim!

Be safe!

Steve

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 1,386
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 1,386
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 1,386
Im on the edge with uhmw found a sheet .250 4feet by 10 feet 375 bucks on grainger.com

I will try to get a picture. last summer I did one of the little 180 spins these inboard jets are so good at. unfortunately when I completed the turn I spun into a log my foot slid forward hard into my console which is sheet aluminum it went in between my toes and split my foot about 1/2". Had to go to the emergency room and get 18 stitches.

amk said:
I will try to get a picture. last summer I did one of the little 180 spins these inboard jets are so good at. unfortunately when I completed the turn I spun into a log my foot slid forward hard into my console which is sheet aluminum it went in between my toes and split my foot about 1/2". Had to go to the emergency room and get 18 stitches.

Ouch!

amk said:

Man that sounds terrible. Makes my feet hurt just thinking about it lol.

Not my wreck but here's a boat a friend and I found last summer on the verdigris after a big storm. Looked like it had been there for a while but was cool anyways.

Found a pic on wife's computer.

Always wear shoes!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 903
Abraham said:
amk said:

Man that sounds terrible. Makes my feet hurt just thinking about it lol.

Not my wreck but here's a boat a friend and I found last summer on the verdigris after a big storm. Looked like it had been there for a while but was cool anyways.

https://youtu.be/QN_Nod65e7o?t=1m52s
[youtube]KEpQY2ncMLA?t=42s[/youtube]

Dont have any photos, but on my jet jons second shake down run I was cruising down the river in a wide area and was coming up to a place where the river made a slight curve to the left and narrowed in to about 1/4 of what it usually is. As I came into the curve, I let off the throttle a little too much and the boat headed toward the right bank. Thought " you need throttle to turn idiot" and laid into the throttle...which shot me like a bullet straight into the bank which to my luck was just a straight up and down bank. Come to find out that my steering heim joint on the jet pump had broke which is why I couldn't turn, thought I needed more throttle to turn but I didn't. Learning to drive a pump is a learning process haha. Luckily nobody was seriously hurt except for my inner thighs where I took out my console.

I've only put my jet boat hard aground a couple of times. The worst was a small sandbar just an inch or so under the surface. I came to an immediate stop, and bashed my shins on the console. Fortunately I wasn't going very fast. Another time I was in a narrow channel at low tide, not much wider than the boat, and maybe 1/2 a foot deep. The channel curved left, and I was following the curve. All of a sudden it felt like the boat wouldn't bank to make the turn, (probably too shallow to make the chine dig in) and it slid right, went straight up onto an mud flat/oyster bed. Never did figure out how that happened, but again I suspect the really shallow water created some kind of cushion effect under the hull which prevented me from being able to bank sharply and turn.

Almost sank my boat the first time out. Had 3 people in the boat and was breaking in the motor. Rookie jet boat driver and slow speed, what could go wrong. :roll:
Well....one shallow rocky (small rocks) section had some earthmoving size tires embedded in the rocks. I started sucking in rocks and had to shut it down. As we are floating back down, we started going sideways. Slid up one of the large tires broadside and came within an inch of the water coming over the side. Think "gopro jet boat sinks again" video :shock:
Thankfully we were able jump out and struggle to lift it off the tire.

What the hell...for anyone that hasn't seen that video, it's a youtube classic.
enjoy :D

[youtube]Yn3lOtabSNo[/youtube]

2:47 is the money shot.

Latest posts