Johnson 35 hp problems

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeeper

Reaction score
My buddy has a 1979 johnson 35 horse. Yesterday he ran up river and it started just fine when he got ready to shut it off it died. He didn't think nothing of it fished for several hours and then went to start it and it wouldn't start. He pulled and pulled and it wouldn't start. Finally figured out that he wasn't getting any spark to the plugs anyways we just put 2 new coils on it a month ago and rebuilt the fuel pump. Does anyone have any idea as to why it wouldn't be getting any spark? Would the magneto just go bad? We are open to any suggestions??? Thanks in advance..

There is probably a shorted wire somewhere or a loose ground. Follow all the wires and look for any chafed or exposed wires. Mine had this issue and i found an exposed bit of wire was touching ground

Thanks I will go over it with a fine tooth comb I guess. I told him it has to be something simple imo

You might check the stator wires that move back and forth when you advance the throttle. Just had them short out on my 35 and had to replace my stator....if yours is electric start it is probably a stator if pull start a coil and trigger. I was able to unplug the 4 prong connector on top of the motor behind the flywheel and check from the 4 pins to the stator plate that moves when you advance the throttle (meter set to ohms...red lead to 1 of the 4 pins and black lead to the plate the stator mounts on, if the meter reads continuity the stator is bad (shorted to ground), repeat on all 4 pins) ( ...with it happening when he went down to idle I would start this with the throttle set to idle then move the throttle up and down and repeat in several different positions if this does not produce a failure) I think this may be the problem...mine did about the same thing...but I was only loosing 1 cylinder. Hope this helps.

Tight Lines....

We will have to check that also. flintcreek thanks for the info the reason we replaced the coils was just that it would run and then drop one cylinder, but since putting those one no problem other than this. Apparently there is something else wrong besides just those coils we replaced a month or so ago. We are hoping we can find a short this weekend.

Went through the electrical couldn't find anything wrong. It started right up we run it for a little while and then it did the same died and wouldn't start right before he shut it off. So went back through the wiring and everything seems to be working fine had good spark and kill switch works great so I believe the carb is loading up at idle/low throttle. Anyways I'm ordering a rebuild kit and hopefully that will fix it. It'll be a few days for that comes in so wish me luck.

I might hold off on the carb rebuild until the spark problem is dealt with. Find the more serious problem first. Once that is nailed down, you can evaluate how well the carb is working.

I got him the carb kit but he has yet to put it on??? River is so low here he says kinda pointless till we get some rain but as soon as he does I'll keep you up to date.

Latest posts