johnson motor help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianlt21

Reaction score
I have been reading a ton on Johnson 9.9's and my model is a j10elci 1981 with cog gears on the tiller arm.. Is there a way to convert the tiller arm to a cable linkage instead of those gears and if so where do I find the parts and information on upgrading this motor..

At the back of the cog gears, where it makes the 90 degree turn up to the motor, there should be a pinion gear on the end of the shaft, correct? There is another gear that the pinion meshes in. Often, this will have a peg on the outside of it. The throttle will attach to this pin, and is held to the side of the lower powerhead housing. The shift cable attaches to the shift rod with either a push and turn link, or a twisty cable. It also attaches to the side of the housing. Post a picture, and I can better explain.

twistgrip.jpg

Yes, the cable attaches to piece 108. Is your motor electric or pull start? If electric, or if you don't mind pull starting it, all you need is a set of control cables/control box, and maybe a couple of bolts/clips, depending on what is included in the cable set you buy. I think that motor was offered with electric start, so if yours is pull start, you will need an electric starter, and electric choke solenoid when ready.

Latest posts