Last Offshore Trip of 2010 (9-11-10)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Ahab

Reaction score
Got some nice Ballyhoo from Bills Sport Shop (thanks to their extended fall hours) and then headed to the boat. Left the docks a little later then we normal due to a problem with the autopilot system - we resolved that by using a human pilot system - Capt. Vince and myself.

Before we left, since we were on the BlackBart we figured there was a really good chance that the fish would be drawn to the boat - we were correct. Boated a few Sea Bass and two stripers plus a bonus eel and smooth doggie. They were JUMPIN in the BOAT fellas!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hit the 30 line just after sunrise, after taking a short break to watch two whales do the nasty just beyond the "b" buoy. Huge tail slaps on top of the water and it was a "there she blows" (meaning the whale spouted AIR no fellatio involved).

Sunrise was awesome and conditions where decent, a slight chop

Raised a Blue Marlin that failed to take any baits despite our best efforts. We then went out to the PoorMans where we found great water and had a few knockdowns. Found a cut off high flyer from a lobster pot drifting but no mahi under it yet. Evidently another NJ boat found it with his wheels - he was on the radio looking for someone with flippers and goggles to free his props. We issued a warning over the air so hopefully no one else got jammed up.

We ran back inside to the 50-40 line area where we found a tight packed weedline and a 40 gallon bucket with a huge school of trigger fish. Hooked a few of those then ran into a large mass of Mahi - all bigger fish. Boxed about 15 each in the 10-15 lb range. Great fun on light equipment.

Full Fish Box with the BlackBart death club:
6n3lw84e.jpg

Anyone ID this fish???
6tg7b04a.jpg

Lots of BIG MAHI

djvbic0r.jpg

wz1hzeyg.jpg

MORE MAHI

jlfjcpbx.jpg

A Mahi made off with a BlackBart spinning outfit so if anyone hooks that please return to Lewes Harbor Marina - you can keep the fish, LOL

=D> Sounds like you guys had a blast, congrats!

Is it a pain to fillet those trigger fish and hows the meat?

Sean

Sean said:
=D> Sounds like you guys had a blast, congrats!

Is it a pain to fillet those trigger fish and hows the meat?

Sean

They are not that bad to clean - once I remembered how #-o

The meat is about the best fish i have ever eaten I give it a 10 out of 10 for everything

I ate my triggerfish earlier this week and it was absolutely awesome. Dave and I both decided if we run into them again we are filling the boat with them. Unfortunately we forgot we small hooks on the boat and had a hard time hooking those bugger....oh yeah it was still nice to have a ton of mahi to eat this week, but man was I wishing I had more than two fillets of those triggers after I ate it

Latest posts