Looking for Deck/Stereo and other ideas (Semi V-Hull)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobcat_fisherman

Reaction score
I'm looking for some insight here. I have a 14.5ft Semi V-Hull that I've been trying to fix up for duck hunting and fishing/bowfishing.

I have no clue what the best way to put a deck in this boat would be. I'm leaning towards aluminum if I can afford but won't rule our wood or a combo of both. I'd like to add a stereo to it, a trolling motor, rod holders, a gun box, and some other things. Could ya'll take a look at the pictures and answer a few of these questions?

1) What are some good deck ideas? Should I run a deck from the backend of the front bench or should I build one out to the middle bench? I don't want a deck that goes to the top of the gunnels, probably just the height of the bench tops. Somehow I'd like to incorporate a gun/storage box. along one of the sides between two benches. If I choose to use aluminum angle, what size and thickness of angle should I use? What size rivets to hold my weight? Or do I have to use screws and bolts?

2) Should I remove the v-shaped piece that covers the bow? It appears to be a structural part. If I took it out it would free up some room but I'd have to reinforce the bow somehow. I'm not quite sure how to make it flow with a deck. Possibly built a deck that runs to the front of the bow and place a custom cut sheet of aluminum vertically between the v-shape support and the deck below.

3) Wheres the best spot to put a stereo and 2 6.5" speakers? Cut into one of the benches? Put it in the bow underneath the v-shaped support mentioned above? Put it in the rear in some custom boxes?

4) I'm still trying to find out if someone knows what's inside these benches. They sound hollow when you bang on them. If they do not contain and floatation and do not structurally effect the boat I might pull out the middle bench or a section of it.

5) I have a 1976 9.9hp Evinrude that needs some work. It needs the gear in the tiller handle replaced, a new choke knob, carb rebuilt, replace fluids, etc. Should I just pump money into fixing it or just buy a new or newer used motor that has all the bells and whistles of a modern day motor?

6) Thoughts on the paint job? I'm debating on buying a Styx River Shadow Grass Stencil Kit but that would mean everything I just painted would have been for nothing.

I have a ton of other questions too. I'm at the point of trying to figure out what to work on next. If there are any other cool recommendations, lets hear them. If you need me to post more pictures I can. I only posted a few because it's a pretty stripped down boat at this point.

Thank you

Started as a hunk of junk. (note the v-shaped support piece on the bow was removed then)
camo_boat_ugly.jpg

Camo paint job. Thinking about doing a stencil kit instead.
camo_boat.jpg

Interior photo. Floor is now painted green like the sides.
camo_boat_interior.jpg

Motor.
tillermotor.jpg

Broken gear that connects to tiller handle.
tillermotorgear.jpg

Hey man, she is a looker.

Your middle seat will be structural - no question on that, but it doesn't mean it can't be removed if you play your cards right with decking the boat.

Sounds like you may be better off looking for a motor that doesn't need so much, unless maybe you are doing all the repair yourself...and can find the parts cheap.

Jdholmes said:
Hey man, she is a looker.

Your middle seat will be structural - no question on that, but it doesn't mean it can't be removed if you play your cards right with decking the boat.

Sounds like you may be better off looking for a motor that doesn't need so much, unless maybe you are doing all the repair yourself...and can find the parts cheap.

If I were to remove the middle bench what do most people puts in its place to keep the structural integrity the same? So I probably can't cut the middle bench in half either, huh? I had an idea of cutting a walk-thru in the middle of the bench and starting the deck at the front side of the bench. That way I'd have a walk-thru leading into the deck and would convert the two side pieces that would remain into storage compartments.

As far as the motor, I do plan on doing the work myself. I just don't know if its worth sinking a few hundred dollars into an old motor or just put that towards a new motor. Do newer say, 1990-2000 built motors, have just as equal the amount of repairs needed usually?