Lowe 1448 did i pay too much?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monster1

Reaction score
Been looking for a boat to run up into creeks where my big fiberglass cuddy won't go. It's a 1995 Lowe 1448 on a new galvanized trailer. It has a 2 stroke 25hp johnson and side console. I plan on turning it into a center console and extending the forward deck. Hull is in good shape and motor runs good. Paid 3600 for it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231119_224500_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231119_224500_Gallery.jpg
    426 KB · Views: 11
  • 20231119_164457.mp4
    29.5 MB
Thanks. Just a bit of buyers remorse because I did what I shouldn't do and see what pops up in the classified after I already bought this boat. In hind sight, I probably should have held out for a 16 or 17ft. I can't sit in the side console without the boat listing on its side. As of now, I have to sit on the center of the bench and steer (cautiously!) with my right hand. I weight about 350lbs so this boat doesn't like me that much. Still, the 25hp johnson planes this boat out at 15mph and tops out at 24mph. I think building out the rear bench about a foot forward and making this boat a center console will help greatly. I thought about adding pods as well. Thoughts?

That's a good price with a new trailer . A good running 25hp 2 stroke would fetch 1500+ around me. I'd say you didn't do bad at all. Pods will help keep the stern up and would probably help a little with the listing to one side. Can you move battery/fuel tank to the opposite side of the console? Of course that could cause other problems if you end up needing to be on that side of the boat . I have seen smaller boats fitted with outriggers to aid in stability something like that could help

Lots can be gained by moving stuff around. Portable fuel tank and a better it two on the opposite side will do wonders !! Add a removable flat plywood top over them and you have a place to mount electrinics, fish rod holders or just a work space to cut up bait....get those wheels turning, bet you can come up with lots of ideas !!

Took it out again today to really take note of how it handles on the water with me in it. A group 27 starting battery and full six gallon gas tank were in the rear. Again, me sitting in the center, steering and throttling with my right hand. The boat has no issues planing with me in it. It accelerates and gets on plane quickly at appropriately 14mph. Cruising is about 18mph. WOT is 24mph.

The boat squats hard in the rear with me sitting on the rear bench. The waterline is approximately 4 inches from the top of the transom. When coming off plane, I have to really watch how I throttle down so I don't take water over the back. It's really that close. Putting the throttle down to get on plane throws the bow way up until the hull planes out. Then the bow drops down. This is really the only time the boat sits mostly level.

I'm really thinking pods are going to help this boat out. Standing in the bottom of the boat doesn't feel unstable as long as I'm not with my full weight to one side. The boat doesn't feel like it wants to slide out from underneath me. Biggest issue is standing up from the bench seat. Nothing a raised cushion and grab bar on the console can't help. Other than the squatting rear, the boat feels fine for what I bought it for.

Get that battery and fuel tank forward, mabey not all the way forward but experiment, you will be surprised what 50-60 lbs will do when moved around and gets to the right spot. In all my boats, I never have the battery and fuel tank in the back, to much weight back there.

Before you do all the work you propose, you might consider cleaning it up and putting it up for sale. You might be able to sell it quickly and upgrade to what you really want.

Like many, I started with a 14' and have gone to bigger boats. They float in the same water and offer more space, and are often faster with the same power, if built lightly.

But what you have is pretty nice. You will get used to the balance of the boat after a few trips.

Took it out again today to really take note of how it handles on the water with me in it. A group 27 starting battery and full six gallon gas tank were in the rear. Again, me sitting in the center, steering and throttling with my right hand. The boat has no issues planing with me in it. It accelerates and gets on plane quickly at appropriately 14mph. Cruising is about 18mph. WOT is 24mph.

The boat squats hard in the rear with me sitting on the rear bench. The waterline is approximately 4 inches from the top of the transom. When coming off plane, I have to really watch how I throttle down so I don't take water over the back. It's really that close. Putting the throttle down to get on plane throws the bow way up until the hull planes out. Then the bow drops down. This is really the only time the boat sits mostly level.

I'm really thinking pods are going to help this boat out. Standing in the bottom of the boat doesn't feel unstable as long as I'm not with my full weight to one side. The boat doesn't feel like it wants to slide out from underneath me. Biggest issue is standing up from the bench seat. Nothing a raised cushion and grab bar on the console can't help. Other than the squatting rear, the boat feels fine for what I bought it for.
Welding on rear pods will resolve that issue of squatting and waterline so close to top; been there done that and rear pods solve it for me and I weight 325 myself. Though I sold my boat to get a bigger one for my family to join in my fishing trips but I know it works!

The pods might cause you to lose speed because of added drag so take that into consideration. It honestly sounds like you need a little bit bigger boat like a 1660 for added width and then do a forward center console. I have a 1652 and it's plenty stable, but I only weigh around 145. It sounds like you could dump some $$$ into it and still not be what you were looking for in the end. Is the weight of the boat an issue for you with towing, launching and retrieving? The 1448 with the 25 makes for a lighter package but a 1652-1660 might be the sweet spot.

Lowe_1652_3.jpg

The pods might cause you to lose speed because of added drag so take that into consideration. It honestly sounds like you need a little bit bigger boat like a 1660 for added width and then do a forward center console. I have a 1652 and it's plenty stable, but I only weigh around 145. It sounds like you could dump some $$$ into it and still not be what you were looking for in the end. Is the weight of the boat an issue for you with towing, launching and retrieving? The 1448 with the 25 makes for a lighter package but a 1652-1660 might be the sweet spot.

View attachment 118069
True. The more hull in the water, the more drag. 24mph is pretty fast in this little thing. I'm good with cruising. Yes. It probably is smaller than I should have bought. That's kinda where the remorse kicks in. However, I just have to remember that I bought this boat for getting into the back of creeks, not to fish bigger water or take my family out for a cruise. It serves that purpose with caution as of right now.

Before I go with pods or moving the console to the center, I think I'll do as suggested and move the fuel tank and battery forward. Pods are about 300 bucks so if I need to add them it won't break the bank. And I think if I build a new forward and rear casting deck, it will increase the sellablity factor. I may just fish this thing all winter and sell it in the spring. I've seen a few 1448's redone on YouTube and I'd have to say they built them into a fishing weapon.

Keep in mind that your wants may not be others wants. You go thru the time and expense to build what you think is good, but what about the next owner ? His wants could be totally different. If you plan on keeping the boat, go at and make it yours, but, if considering a quick sale, I would not dump the time on money into something questionable forvthe next owner. Just some food for thought !!

When I buy anything big ticket I ask myself, what am I comfortable paying for (whatever it is)? I come up with a number, often when used a high/low depending on condition. If the boat (in this case) is in absolutely grand condition I might be willing to bump my price higher. As long as I was comfortable shelling it out i don't care what Joe or Sam paid.

That engine sounds fine, I hope you get many more years out of her, looks like a solid package.

Sounds like a nice rig but it might take some tweaking to get it right for you. Here are a couple of my thoughts:
-1'st, I'd move the battery forward. Tank too if you have room. ( You only need a 3 gal tank, why take up the extra bulk and weight of the 6). I've done this on every ( 13-16') tin boat I've rigged in the last 30 years. It makes a significant difference in how the boat runs, planes and rides. IMHO. It also frees up storage space in the rear where I'm operating/fishing.
-Some don't like them but I find a hydrofoil on the motor helps with squatting/stearing stability too.
- Building a seat extension might be an option but moving / rebuilding the console to the center is not going to be a small or cheap fix .

Sounds like a nice rig but it might take some tweaking to get it right for you. Here are a couple of my thoughts:
-1'st, I'd move the battery forward. Tank too if you have room. ( You only need a 3 gal tank, why take up the extra bulk and weight of the 6). I've done this on every ( 13-16') tin boat I've rigged in the last 30 years. It makes a significant difference in how the boat runs, planes and rides. IMHO. It also frees up storage space in the rear where I'm operating/fishing.
-Some don't like them but I find a hydrofoil on the motor helps with squatting/stearing stability too.
- Building a seat extension might be an option but moving / rebuilding the console to the center is not going to be a small or cheap fix .
Which is why I suggested the (Pods) for the rear; adding stability and solving the squatting issues seemed to be important to owner, I don't think he cares about top end speed and adding the PODS is cheaper than the center console option, and I am all for moving fuel - battery - etc, whatever to level out the boat and add stability!

Latest posts