Made my own Tube Baits

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Ahab

Reaction score
I keep reading articles about pour soft plastics and stuff - well today I decided to give it is go! I found that tube baits are made by dipping the mold in the liquid plastic and then using a tool to cut the tails.

Of course, I have no mold to dip and no tool to cut the tails, so I improvised McGuiver style!

I re-melted some town plastics that I saved and used several different sized plastic dowels a molds. After heating the plastic to the correct temperature i coated the dowels in oil and and dipped and spun. Cut the tails with a razor and they look certainly usable. Not a pretty as i would have liked but I think I can catch fish with them. I am going to try them on some small mouth this evening and will give a report.

Still rough looking - I am getting better.

I am getting a better mold tomorrow and a making a cutter!

tubes.jpg

I have come up with a better way to make the tubes! i will make a mold tomorrow and see how it works.

Watch out PC Baits - Dave's Crappy Bait Company is coming to town!

OMG - Third cast with one of the tubes I made and I hook a decent largemouth. Sorry for the poor photo - I was fishing alone and there was no place to put the camera.

tubes001.jpg

The tubes did not work as well as I hoped. i need to make the walls much thicker and the tubes a little longer. I have an idea for a mold that i will try to make tomorrow if I have time.

That is a 1/0 EWG Sickle offset worm hook hook. I T-Rig the tube with a bullet weight left to slide on the line up to where my leader joins the main line.

Looks like this:

1sickblack1_18_4.jpg

I'm not sure but i think I read several places that you can re dip the tubes to make the walls thicker then just dip the head several times to thicken that even more. A rounded off Dow is the ticket from what Ive heard they look good and with some practice they will be BOSS BAITS

I am done dipping! I found soem tube molds that are cheap and fun!

As soon as they get here I will post the new line of Crappy Tubes