Make my own non-skid ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonynoriega

Reaction score
I have a little more than a quart of Rusto Oil Based Enamel paint left.

Was wondering if I could use this to make my own non-skid?
Could I just get some clean sand from Lowes and add it to the paint and thin it down a bit?

There is existing non-skid on the bottom, and want to just to paint over it, and cover the bare areas where I wire brushed flat to apply Gluvit down the seam?

Possible?
Thoughts?

0604141911.jpg

I've never done it but a friend of mine has experimented with it. He said the coarser the sand the better as far as the slip factor goes.

Look at this build, he use crushed walnut shells.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26183&start=60&hilit=fighting+lady+yellow

it works, but to make it easier to clean, you'll want to paint over it another thin coat or 2 after the homemade non-skid layer. if done just right, it will be the perfect combo of grippy & cleanable

another method, is to sprinkle it onto wet paint, then apply another thin coat or 2, although this method sacrifices adhesion for more grip

I filled between the ribs with closed cell foam, covered with a rather stiff rubber roofing (sheet/roll) painted, poured playground sand HEAVY. Let it dry, hosed the excess out, repeated, then a third coat of paint. Works great!!!