Manasquan Rez - NJ 6/15/10

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robr3004

Reaction score
Headed out after work today. What a beautiful evening on the lake, a nice little wind, air temps in the mid 70's and some nice fish.

Started off with 2 little guys on a Green Pumpkin 3/8oz Jig with 3-1/2 inch craw trailer. Picked up the fish on the windy point so decide to jump past the next 2 boaters in the cove to the next point. As I approach the next point, one of the other guys makes a B-line right for where I'm heading. Just great, so I stop about 100 yards away in the open water to wait a see what he does. Guess he realized where I was heading and he kept on going by. So I pull into the spot I had my eye on, cast my jig, feel the tic of the line and set the hook on a nice 4.2 ponder. Man did she run for the boat, right under it and kept heading for deep water. Had to spin the boat around, she put on a good fight, but I got her to the boat.

So I continued around the point, missed a small hit, I think it was a perch as they kept following the jig to the boat. Decided to back track and use a spinner bait, missed another one. Made it back to where I picked up the 4.2 pounder and just past there hooked into another big one, but this time she shot right to the top of the water, jumped out and spit the jig out. She was at least 3 pounds maybe more.

After that I had to head back to the ramp, unfortunately Manasquan closes at dusk and you have to be off the lake or the ranger comes after you. As I was heading back to the ramp, I see some large bait fish jumping out in the open water. I stop the boat, tie on a pop-r, make a cast, pop, pop, SPLASH, set the hook....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz there goes my drag. Hooked into a nice 6.3 pound hybrid striper. Took me about 5 minutes to get her to the boat. Man did that fish fight like hell.

That ended my night off fishing on a good note.

IMG_3139.JPG
IMG_3144.JPG

My fishing partner for the evening
IMG_3141.JPG
IMG_3142.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3140.JPG
    IMG_3140.JPG
    164 KB · Views: 231
Thanks Guys.

BaitCaster said:
Nice fish and photos. Hey, how did you get the self-portrait with the big largie? Tri-pod and timer?
I used a self timer and used my sweatshirt to support the camera. I just ordered a mini tripod for my next trip. Also, I would of had a self portrait of the striper, but I was suppose to be off the lake at 8:30 and I made the cast with the pop-r at 8:35 so I was rushing to get a pic and be on my way.

shamoo said:
Way to go Rob, did you fish that standing timber at all ?
Yup, except for the striper, I pitched to the timber. All the bites were out on the points were there was a slight breeze. Also the sun was to my face, when it was to my back it casted a shadow into the timer which I think spooked the fish.

bassassassin8 said:
Is it electric only or can you use your outboard?
Electric only and if you do have and outboard, they make you take the prop off.... :x

That sucks taking your prop off, I think its a bad thing. Alot of things could go wrong and you might need that prop to rescue someone or yourself.

shamoo said:
That sucks taking your prop off, I think its a bad thing. Alot of things could go wrong and you might need that prop to rescue someone or yourself.

I totally agree. I think it's b/s a lake will make you take your prop off. I think Lenape does that too. I don't see what the issue is just having your outboard tilted. :x Because God forbid you do have a problem, how are you gonna get off the lake? I'm waiting for something to happen at a place like that where an accident could have been prevented IF the boater had their prop on so they could've escaped a hazardous conditon. Somebody'll get sued good when a boat goes down in the wind or capsizes or someone drowns because of something so stupid.