Merc 40 hp Starter won't throw out bendix

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wingsdrew16

Reaction score
Guys I need some help. Jump right to it (there is more to the story but don't think it's relevant) I have 12.4 volts at the, I believe, starter relay. I turn the key with the multi meter on the starter positive post & negative post and it only reads like .4 volts and spins the starter but won't throw out the bendix. Does that automatically mean the relay is bad? Or is there something else in line I'm not thinking of?
I held the meter on the + relay post & ground while turning the key and no drop.
Help is greatly appreciated.

Sometimes those starter drives can stick. Try lubing it with a light oil and work it manually a few times.

If that doesn't work, stick your positive and ground multimeter leads onto each big post of the starter solenoid. Try to start it and watch the meter, it should read very little, less than half a volt. Do the same between the starter positive and the battery positive post. By doing this you are essentially testing the voltage loss (if there is any) in the cables and connections, called a voltage drop test, works on any circuit.

If it is still not working you likely need a new battery.

Yup.. the bendix is stuck, the relay is fine

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk