Mercury 15, owner says it's a 4 stroke, help me ID please

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hydrilla

Reaction score
I don't have the serial number yet, and sorry in advance for the poor pics, they were sent to me via cell phone. This is a 15hp Mercury that the owner claims is a 4 stroke. I may be interested in buying it, but it looks like an older generation motor than I remember Merc making a 4 stroke. If someone recognizes anything about this motor to ID the year within a few years, maybe I'll be able to tell if it is or not. It is about 85 miles from my house and I won't be able to go check it out until Saturday. I may still be interested in it if it's not a 4 stroke, but the price I'd be willing to pay would be different.

I did ask for the S/N, and hopefully he will send it to me, that would help with identification.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 1,475
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 1,475
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 1,475
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 1,475
I cant tell from the pic, if the head were the plugs go in is basicly flat, then it is a 2 stroke, It certainly looks far to old to be a 4, Id say it is a 70's era motor.

From what I can tell, it appears to be identical to my 15HP. Mine is a 1988 or 89 model and as others have said, it is definitely a two stroke.

15HPMercury.jpg

Here is a link to parts for the motor and at the top it says serial numbers 0A197112 through 0D280999.

I've even got a service manual that Jim sent me, if you do end up picking it up.

looks liek a 2 stroke look up the serial number and that will tell you year and everything you need to know may have to ask for model number

Thanks a ton guys. kbkid, no doubt it's the same as yours! Have you been happy with your motor? I may still be interested in it, but again I won't be willing to pay as much of course.

jsharp, thanks- I've been to a couple of sites that tell you the year based on S/N but I can't figure it out :oops:

He didn't really say since he was responding to my wanted ad on Craigslist, but yeah- $500 is what I was thinking after finding out what it is. He asked what I wanted to pay, and I said well my range is up to about $1k, but that is for a 2000 model 4 stroke I was looking at that sold before I could get to it.

Bugpac said:
What kind of price? 500.00?

My motor has done pretty well for me. When I initially got it it was a bit temperamental, but once I cleaned it up and changed the plugs and stuff, everything has been great.

I wouldn't pay any more than $500 for the motor if I were you though. I'd even offer him as little as $350 or $400 and go from there. It seems that he isn't even sure of what the motor is worth, since he was telling you it was a four stroke. Good luck with it, my motor has done pretty well.

If the guy thinks that it is a 4 stroke and has been running it as such, I wouldn't touch that motor with a 10 foot pole. :shock:

Crao, good point!! :shock: I hadn't thought about that. He did say that it's his but his uncle is the only one who uses it, so maybe he just doesn't know a thing about it at all. The more I learn about it, the more I think I'd be better off to keep looking.

Quackrstackr said:
If the guy thinks that it is a 4 stroke and has been running it as such, I wouldn't touch that motor with a 10 foot pole. :shock:

If hes been running it without oil it is dead already, he has to be mixing the oil if its running, sounds like maybe its not really his from that last statement, and the fact he thinks its a 4 stroke, Maybe Stolen?

He contacted me via text, and I told him about the year, and that it's not a 4 stroke. He apologized, an I told him what I was told it was worth. He said he had been asking $850 but "will take $700 to help me out some."

It may be worth that to someone, and I wish him luck, but it's not worth that to me.

Yeah I know there are a lot better deals out there if I look hard and don't jump on the first thing I see. I hate that I missed the '99 Evinrude 4 stroke 15 hp listed for $1000 or best offer. SUPER nice gentleman selling it too, I just wasn't fast enough. That thing looked new, had about 20 hours on it. I'll find something soon... [-o<