Mercury 200

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the lower unit apart. All the gears and all the bearing but the top one are in good shape. Going to order a new bearing, seal kit and impeller for it. I guess at this age it could use some TLC weather I use it or not.

Pappy. I appreciate the advice. But. Sometimes new doesn't equate to proper function. A long story short. I rebuit a 140 Evinrude over 30ys ago in which I installed new coils. It ran fine test running it with the flush attachment. Launched the boat. Idled fine. Tried putting some power to it on the water and it started breaking up. Pulled boat out and went over things. Did this many times over a period of time. I was just about to tear back into the motor when I thought about running it at night. Turns out one of the new coils was arching out. Replace it and the motor ran fine. As a DIY that bad new coil just about drove me nuts trying to figure out what was wrong. These coils for this motor seem to be expensive so I'll have to procede carefully on the expenses. I could sink more into two of those than what I paid for the whole package.

water bouy. I'm in Franklin. The western part of the state. In the mountains.

Just wanted to update and finish off this as a successful thread. I've been working on others things while waiting on parts. Redid the transom on the boat. I cleaned and painted the trailer, rewired it including new lights, put new skids on the bunks, new winch cable, put new wheels and tires on it. I tore apart the LU. Put a new bearing in, new inpeller and all new seals. Got the LU back on, new condensers installed, set the like new points, new fuel line on, the carb and fuel pump rebuilt. Rigged it up on a stand with a water tub. With reserved anticipation I started pulling on it. After about a hand full of pulls it fired right up. Wahoo. Let it run for about five seconds and twisted it down to idle and it runs purrrrfectly. It shifted into gears good and had good flow out the pisser. I can hardly believe how well it runs after sitting for who knows how long. The boats last registration ran out in 2000. I'm a very happy camper. Thanks for all your advice and what not. Now to finish rigging up the boat, get my numbers. sticker and hope for some nice weather to get it on the water.

Those were good surprisingly strong motors. Glad you got it up and running.

I had a friend that dumped one over the transom of a boat in a local river. It sat on the bottom from Nov. to April when he decided to finally come clean and tell a couple of us about it. We got a couple boats up and decided to go on a recovery mission. Now this is a pretty decent sized river that is bad for flooding in the winter and silts in also. I really thought the chance of recovery was slim.

The water temps were darn cool when we were doing this and we got to were he said he lost it. We were diving and trying to find it and had made some drags. It was in about 10' of water. Of course there were the normal snags etc to be found but somehow we located it and got it up.

We did have the good sense to take it straight home drain all the fluids pull the plugs etc clean it and blow out the cyls. sprayed the cylinders with light oil, cleaned the carb and new LU oil. After drying the points and cleaning them we didn't pull that motor 5 times and it fired right up. It ran another 20 years to he gave it to his son. I lost track of it then.

tasthree said:
fuel pump rebuilt.

tasthree,

Do you happen to know the part number for the diaphragm you used?

I have a 1967 Mercury 200 (20hp) which needs the diaphragm replaced.
As far as I can see 31503A1 should be it, however the outside profile is different & does not work.
Mine is is simply rectangular.

Capture.JPG

kdgrills. Sorry been busy and haven't checked this thread so I didn't see your reply. Mine is different than the picture you posted. It's only three bolt holes that is kind of round on the bottom and squared off on the top. On my parts list it is kit #23014A1. I don't remember if it was superseded by another #.

nccatfisher. That's a pretty crazy story. Goes to show you that it never hurts to try. Also a good reminder to make shure the motor mount screws are good and tight. This will be my first tiller motor I've ever had.

tasthree said:
kdgrills. Sorry been busy and haven't checked this thread so I didn't see your reply. Mine is different than the picture you posted. It's only three bolt holes that is kind of round on the bottom and squared off on the top. On my parts list it is kit #23014A1. I don't remember if it was superseded by another #.

Thanks for the reply. I ordered a sheet of 1/64" thick rubber & some gasket material.
Probably have enough material to make 10 of them now, for cheaper than one kit costs.

Latest posts