Mid to late 90's two cyl 35 HP OMC

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nccatfisher

Reaction score
I am sure many will find this question ignorant but here it is. I recently bought a medium sized jon boat for hunting. I have a 24' one and it is great for fishing but I hunt allot in skinny, loggy and rocky water. I have always had a boat the size I recently purchased and if I ease around and use my head never have any issues. The big boat just by shear weight it will not do much easing or bouncing off obstructions you tear something up. So I am rigging up a hunting boat.

But to get back to my question and quit rambling. It has a '97 25 HP Johnson on it. Of course I want to pep it up to a 35 for the long runs to these out of way areas. Everywhere I look trying to find a model number of a 35 HP in that relatively close year model all I can come up with is the 3 cyl. I am trying to find a 2 cyl model number 35 HP so I can cross reference the intake and carb. At some of these online venues for parts. Anyone know what a 2 cyl. 35 model number would be in that year range?

You won't find a 35hp close to that year because they went from rating at the powerhead in the early 80's to prop rating in the late 80's so the 35hp turned into 30hp. Take a picture of your carb and post it. It might already have the big carb.

Lil' Blue Rude said:
You won't find a 35hp close to that year because they went from rating at the powerhead in the early 80's to prop rating in the late 80's so the 35hp turned into 30hp. Take a picture of your carb and post it. It might already have the big carb.
OK, I will get a pic up tomorrow.

Ok, got pics this evening, one shows the casting # on the carb. Not sure if it is the carb # itself or the top half.
432700 I appreciate your help with this.

The carb shown is a 93-older model 25hp carb. The 94- up model carbs have plastic flat tops on them and 93 and before had all metal bodies. So if I had to guess it's either a 1987 model 25hp or the carbs been swapped. If I'm remembering right OMC had 3 different size single barrel carb. The one you have is the smallest, the next size up was 1 3/8 at the back and 1 1/4 were it necks down and the largest model was 1 1/2 at the back and 1 1/4 at the necked down spot. Been told the middle size carb works best on these motors but never tested so can't say.

Lil' Blue Rude said:
The carb shown is a 93-older model 25hp carb. The 94- up model carbs have plastic flat tops on them and 93 and before had all metal bodies. So if I had to guess it's either a 1987 model 25hp or the carbs been swapped. If I'm remembering right OMC had 3 different size single barrel carb. The one you have is the smallest, the next size up was 1 3/8 at the back and 1 1/4 were it necks down and the largest model was 1 1/2 at the back and 1 1/4 at the necked down spot. Been told the middle size carb works best on these motors but never tested so can't say.
The model # on the engine is J25TELEUM. I never could pinpoint by the model number exactly what year it was. I was going by the previous owner, who bought it new. And I well know what that will get you.

Thanks for the info.

nccatfisher said:
Lil' Blue Rude said:
The model # on the engine is J25TELEUM. I never could pinpoint by the model number exactly what year it was. I was going by the previous owner, who bought it new. And I well know what that will get you.

Thanks for the info.

For what it's worth, I can say your carb is newer than a '88.
I have an '87 and a '88 30 hp Johnny/rude in the garage, and they
don't have that sidewinder idle adjustment screw. That is a newer feature.

-jasper

I am still at a loss as to exactly what year this thing is. The model is: J25TELEUM Ser. G04282792. I haven't exactly figured out what year it is.

Looks like I have to take back what I said about it not being a 97 model carb. The parts diagram shows the 25hp carb as all metal but the 30hp has the plastic flat top. I knew the 40-50hp and the 60-70hp switched to the flat top carbs in 94 for all hp models (they use single barrel carbs too) just assumed they did the same with the 25-30hp models. Looks like they only swapped the 94-up 30hp to the newer flat top carb. Sorry about the bad info but it's definitely a 25hp carb.

Lil' Blue Rude said:
Looks like I have to take back what I said about it not being a 97 model carb. The parts diagram shows the 25hp carb as all metal but the 30hp has the plastic flat top. I knew the 40-50hp and the 60-70hp switched to the flat top carbs in 94 for all hp models (they use single barrel carbs too) just assumed they did the same with the 25-30hp models. Looks like they only swapped the 94-up 30hp to the newer flat top carb. Sorry about the bad info but it's definitely a 25hp carb.
Hey NBD, no one is perfect except my ex wife. LOL

Now on to the original question. What carb and intake would I be looking for to pep it up? Just a late 80 early 90's 30-35 HP?