Mix 24v and 12v?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhos

Reaction score
I have 2 batteries wired in series for a 24v TM in the bow, can I run 12v leads from either battery in this configuration safely? Thanks.

Hi, I have 2 batteries in the bow wired in series for the 24v bow trolling motor, I want to add a pair of 12v outlets to the bow (likely to be used for a fishfinder and perhaps auxiliary lighting) as well and would rather wire each (12v outlet) to one of the TM batteries rather than fish wire for them all the way to the stern where the cranking battery is.

-brian

I know you can do this safely:12-24Vwiring.jpg
Can't find any diagrams of the 12 volt going to something like,lights or bilge etc....but I think it should work.
Might get some interference on your FF,running off your trolling motor batteries but maybe not.
Make sure you fuse on your positive line for each socket.

Thanks, if that diagram is electrically "legal", then what I want to do should work. I wonder if one of those circuit isolators made for car stereo systems would work for the fish finder interference. I will fuse everything, I made a couple panels for the connections at the bow and already installed panel-mount fuse holders next to their respective 12v sockets.

Next question along the same lines, I have a 2 bank charger to hook up to the 2 trolling batteries, do you guys disconnect the common wire (24v) between the batteries before you charge or can I leave it all wired together and just plug in the charger? The charger will be hard-wired to the batteries.

-brian

I don't have a 2bank charger...but I don't think you have to.
You can disconnect them but I'm pretty sure there two isolated systems, when hooked together.

I wish someone with a 24 volt system would chime in.
Do you have a manual for the charger?

No I don't (found an open box deal, no manual...), but I did just check Minn Kota's website and the verdict is you do NOT have to disconnect the series connection in 24 or even 36 volt systems with their chargers.

Thanks for the help guys, I just got done wiring everything and it's all working properly (knock on wood.) Where I used to have a crude hole for the TM wiring to go through on the bow, I now have a couple panels with connections for trolling motor plug, charger (just run a regular extension cord to this plug to charge), motor trim switch, 2 fused 12v outlets and space for a courtesy light when I find one I like. :D

I read that some older chargers aren't "isolated" and with them they share a ground,so you would have to disconnect the batteries.
Newer ones are isolated,so should be fine.
Your question on the car isolator would probably work if the interference was from the outboard,not sure about the trolling motor.

Latest posts