My 1232 tinboat project....would like some thoughts b4 build

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rat,

Yeah it's a plasticore type product. I had some left over from a sign project I did awhile back and decided "free is free" and used it instead of having to go to lowes and buy 2" foam for dampening sound purposes.

I had enough that i got away with triple layering the floor. I staggered the direction of the flutes with each layer and I used double sided 2" vhb and 3" banner tape to hold them all together. I jumped up and down on it for awhile to make sure it wouldn't collapse. I must say it held up like a champ :)

My next step is I have x2 4'x8' sheets of 1/8" Diabond (aluminum wrapped around solid pvc) I'm going to use that for the top layer of the floor and wrap it with the carpet and I think that'll hold up quite nice :)

Any other suggestions??? I'm always eager and open for trying anything

Thanks, Mike

Sweet, so you are using the plasticore under the sole and Alu clad PVC for the sole, good idea. And free is free after all. 8) I think huntingfool was looking at using some of the Alu. clad Sintra, I think he called it e-panel. But I think yours will be the first build with it. Sounds like it will look cool and be lightweight. I am looking forward to seeing it go in.

Thanks bud :) Yeah I'm stoked to see how it turns out too.

I lifted the boat this morning to check it's weight. It's still lighter than ever. Plus not having to worry about the wood going bad and such is helpful. I'll work on it somemore hopefully this weekend and post the updates.

Have a good one

Mike

When laying your floor are you going to lay the floor material down on the ribs or build something to keep it off of the ribs? I just cut notches out of the plywood and made the board fit nice and flat across the ribs. Then drilled a hole through the plywood into the rib (making sure not to go thru the floor) and put a lag screw in to hold it in place. Did I do this the wrong way?

Chill,

The first and second layer I cut to fit between the ribs which pretty much set it even with the high of the ribs. The third layer is floated on top of the ribs. Once I get the aluminum top layer cut to fit I'll prob use 2-3" self tappers with washers to hit the ribs and grab the insulation and suck it up tight.

If your using ply that sounds good too using notches as long as your flush with the floor padding as well I would assume :)

I'm not completely sure this answers your questions but def let me know when you get a min if it helped :)

Mike

Rat said:
Sweet, so you are using the plasticore under the sole and Alu clad PVC for the sole, good idea. And free is free after all. 8) I think huntingfool was looking at using some of the Alu. clad Sintra, I think he called it e-panel. But I think yours will be the first build with it. Sounds like it will look cool and be lightweight. I am looking forward to seeing it go in.

Actually...I just put a sheet in my build today :LOL2:

Brine,

Yeah it's a really nice product and very light weight and strong huh?? Going to last forever hopefully lol :)

Chill,

If all you have is the ply mounted to the floor thats fine. One thing I've noticed from other guys on this site is they all seem to be putting down some sort of insulated foam to help with dampening the sounds from walking on the ply is all :)

Latest posts