My 14' tinner never been in sal water - shoud I?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Magnolia,....right up the road from me! Let's go fishing after I get back in the Fall.

I'd guess that half of all the boats on Galveston Bay at one time are tinnys.

I agree that the trailer is far more susceptible to issues than the boat. I bought an inexpensive electric power washer at Home Depot recently. It is ideal for those little jobs.

regards, richg9

I live in Florida and fish salt water out of my tin almost exclusively, anything steel will rust all to hell, I don't care what you do to protect it. Only use SS or aluminum fasteners if you can find them. My trailer is galvanized and I rinse it well every time I use it but the springs and axle are not and they are rusting, they will need to be replaced eventually, the trailer is holding up well though, no rust, so far and it is pretty old, at least 15 years. A painted steel trailer is not meant to be used in salt water, period.

Yep, go fishin', but be on the lookout for a galvanized trailer because yours may rust eventually. I use some CRC corrosion inhibitor on whatever I can reach with it, including opening up the cowling and spraying everything inside - motor bolts, etc. $8.79/can on Amazon. Probably can get locally also. It sticks and makes a nice film like cooking oil on the outside of a skillet. Sealed LED trailer lights are a must for me also. The exposed bulb-type will not be reliable, and there will be a wasp nest in there every time you go in there to clean the contacts.
81yI1owpISL._SL1500_.jpg

Latest posts