My Trolling motor screwed me over. Problem with it

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kochy

Reaction score
Alright so yesterday, I entered my first tournament with my Bass Tracker. Didn't catch a thing. But we were the 2nd boat to head out from the start point. So we go to a spot to start to fish right. Well I put the trolling motor down and I started using it. I also put my rod down with the line in the water. And you'd probably guess what happened. I got my line a bit tangled in the motor. Not much but there's still line in it. So I had to cut it off. Well then when I wanted to turn it on again. The motor wouldn't turn on at all, and The Foot pedal was stuck in place, I couldn't move the pedal.

So right off the back, our trolling motor was gone which made me mad. But does any one have any idea on why the foot pedal locked up and the motor didn't want to turn on.

Another thing a couple days before yesterday the pedal locked up on us so we opened the top of it up and reconfigured the cables and we fixed it. But I guess it popped back out.

Well you didn't really say what trolling motor you have but I have had to disconnect (from battery) or reset my PD-V2 because I tried driving through very thick lily pads and grass and gummed the motor up real bad. I think there is something in the computer that will shut it down when something gets around the prop and causes to much resistance on the motor, sort of a fail safe design so you don't damage your motor..... that is my guess at least

I have a Minnkota Maxxum 55 Lb thrust. I think thats what happened. I should have an fuse on the wire to the battery?

Kochy said:
I have a Minnkota Maxxum 55 Lb thrust. I think thats what happened. I should have an fuse on the wire to the battery?
Yes I use a manual resettable circuit breaker & it should be close to the battery.

Sounds like some cable bind is why its locking up. This can be caused in numerous places. make sure the pedal is not twisted when you fold down, best way to align cables is when the motor is down.

Bugpac said:
Sounds like some cable bind is why its locking up. This can be caused in numerous places. make sure the pedal is not twisted when you fold down, best way to align cables is when the motor is down.
I know the top was twisted which caused it to be so stiff and not allowing the pedal to move at all. We took it apart trying to figure it out, and we moved turned the head and it came loose. We were like Oh wow.

And my boat's wiring is hacked beyond belief. There's splices every where, electrical tape every where. There's electrical tape just wrapping plain wire. We have a mess to work out if we plan on rewiring this boat.

My boat wiring also pretty much sucked, I had fuses every where and switches too. I tore out all the old wiring and started over, added a Blue Sea fues panel with a ground buss. I didn't replace the TM wires as they were okay but everything else went. Sometimes I use the old wires to pull the new ones and other times I use a fish tape to pull them. No all all my fuses and circuit breakers are in one place.

Glad you found your problem.

Latest posts