Name this part...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmed999

Reaction score
Can someone tell me what this is?

It gets hot and turns my trolling motor off then seems to cool down and will allow my trolling motor to start working again. It is mounted within 12 inches of my battery inline with the wires that go to the trolling motor.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Bus (483x312).jpg
    Bus (483x312).jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 716
It's a circuit breaker.

You might want to check your TM manual for proper size first. It looks clean but check every connection. The heat could be caused by bad connection, wrong sized wire, or the motor drawing to many amps.

Specknreds said:
It's a circuit breaker. quote]

... And it is only a 40 amp one. I'm not sure, but I bet your 55# thrust TM is 50-55 amps! Also, not sure what the length and gauge of your battery wire is (it may be on the small side for your TM and wire length). I wouldn't use it until you match the wire size, wire length, circuit breaker and trolling motor with each other. Chime in with the data and it won't be long before you get some safe info.

FlyBye

This should help with determining proper wire gauge an length.
https://www.minnkotamotors.com/what_gauge_wire_for_trolling_motor.aspx?__taxonomyid=505

The TM you said you had in another post was the 55# version of THIS.

That's a 12V motor. The breaker above appears to be a 24V.
I'd swap it for a 12V 50A breaker...and 6AWG wire.

BTW, what is the best way to connect the 6AWG wire to the back of my 10 AWG trolling motor receptacle? It will be hard to connect a 10 AWG wire to a 6 AWG wire.

Should I abandon my 10 AWG receptacle and plug and go with something more heavy duty? If so what?

Thoughts?

The receptacle can handle 6 awg
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001PTHKRQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER