Need a good Epoxy Coating/Sealer for the bottom of my boat!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spanky543

Reaction score
I have just finished welding the small crack that was on the back transom of my 1948 Arkansas Traveler V hull Aluminum Boat with an aluminum welding product called Alumaweld. I have added waterproof Bondo Glass to the interior corner of the boat where I welded the crack for some extra rigidity. I am looking to paint the outside and the inside of the boat before I install anymore deck framing for the boat...because it will get too heavy. I saw some people applying a epoxy coating or an epoxy sealer to the bottom of there boat that adds a slick and durable bottom coating. Can anyone help me find out what it is and how much it cost and where I can get some?

Once I paint the boat I will finish or continue my decking project... Here are some of the newest additions to my boat deck...web boat 1.JPG

Attachments

• web boat 2.jpg
    web boat 2.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 1,913
  • web boat 3.jpg
    web boat 3.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 1,907
  • web boat 4.jpg
    web boat 4.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 1,908
  • web boat 5.jpg
    web boat 5.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 1,917
Hi Spanky,
Thanks for joining. Boat project looks awesome! Keep us posted on the updates.

I am not sure about the epoxy stuff, but I'm sure someone will chime in soon.

Jim

I used steelflex on my boat and I highly recommend it. See my thread https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1745&start=40
The company does not sell online so you have to call and order it. It cost me $65 including shipping.

I found this epoxy when I was at Academy the other day. It turned out not to be that black like the can says...

Attachments

• coating.JPG
    coating.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 1,916
  • coating 1.JPG
    coating 1.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 1,913
  • coating 2.JPG
    coating 2.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 1,918
how did u make it black then?? did you rattle can it, or compresed air sprayed it??

I painted it with a Valspar Paint from tractor supply, Gloss Black! I used a air compressor and a spray gun...Here is how it turned out!!!

Attachments

• paint 1.JPG
    paint 1.JPG
    130.6 KB · Views: 1,920
gone to home depot, lowes. and the lovely monkeys of employees that work there.. have no idea what im talking about, they never heard of Epoxy Sealer,.. they have nothing but tubes like syringes,, im like,, umm no... i need like 2 gallons!!

they have no idea,,, they asked me what do i need a gallon for?? i told them i need to resurface the bottom of a jon boat!!,, 1st they didnt even know what the hell a jon boat is,, ok,, an aluminum boat..

Homedepot replies: what , i dont think you can do that,, bla bla bla,, i never heard of that bla bla bla,,

ok ur idiot, bye..

soo,, my quest once a again to find an expoxy sealer...
:x

sherwin williams had an epoxy sealer, its balck and nasty-they paint telephone poles with it when they have to summerse the pole in water, it was $75 bucks a gallon. you would have to thin it some to roll on. I passed on it. it would work but it was not going to be friendly

:roll: OK LOOK AT THIS!!!!

There is a picture of the epoxy sealer that I used on my boat. Its made by Amazing Goop... here is there web site... Its called Coat It...

https://www.eclecticproducts.com/coatit.htm

I found this in the 2 pound packages at Academy here in the town where I live but I have seen it in other Academy's. Academy's website is this, but I don't think that they have it on there website, but you can find one close to you...

https://academy.com/index.php?page=content&target=company/locator/landing

Yea don't try to get stuff from Home Depot or Lowes because they usually don't know what you are talking about!!!

Attachments

• coating.JPG
    coating.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 1,865

Latest posts