Need a Prop

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishingCop

Reaction score
As mentioned in a fishing report, I blew up the prop on our 40hp Force in Wisconsin when we hit some unmarked low water rocks.. Took it to a local shop - paying around $80 (give or take) for a repair (two blades had large chunks miissing, third bent pretty good) - they say, repair job will be better than new?? comments?

New ones between $110-$129 (two piece style) or $140 to order an original Force prop)

A couple of questions:

I'm thinking we should have a spare? comments?

What about the plastic (polymor, whatever) with replaceable blades?

Anyone have a used or repaired one for cheap I can buy for a spare??

10.5, 12 degree, exhaust thru the prop, 1996 Force 40 HP (has two round tits on the 13 spline hub to hold the lock washer in place.

Thanks for your info and replies.

Joe

I can say that a repaired prop isn't going to be as tough as a new prop.IMO
The polymer props are good for getting you back to the dock but I don't think they are meant to be run full throttle.

Get a new one from Michigan Wheel, or any other prop dealer. I would rebuild a 120 dollar prop for 30, but certainly not 80.

bassboy1 said:
Get a new one from Michigan Wheel, or any other prop dealer. I would rebuild a 120 dollar prop for 30, but certainly not 80.

Yeah, I guess I got snowed - being a new boat owner, we live and learn and sometimes pay the piper :oops:

But, when faced with the choice of a new, two-piece prop at $129 (prop & hub), or a new one-peice Force original replacement at $140, we figured the $80 repair was cheaper than the other options - for a quick fix (one week turn around) and told by the marina guy that it will be stronger than new..... Then, take our time to look for a used, rebuilt or new one for a spare.

Anyway, like I said, I guess I got ripped off but at least I'll have a boat in the water this weekend - too bad it cost me more for the repair of the prop than I should have spent..... bummer :x

Thanks for your response and info Bassboy......

I never eave the ramp without a spare prop in my boat.
I agree that you would have been better off getting a new prop for 140 than paying 80 to fix the old one.
did a quick search and found a good choice of props that will meet your needs at a wide range of prices
I would buy a new prop to use and have the repaired prop as a spare.
https://www.boat-props.com/propellers/s/?manufacturer=Force&rotation=Standard&search=Outboard&chart=29&pitch=12.00&engine_id=157&session_id=440995899&cart_id=090286526

You can check other boards for used props or find one at a repair shop
After market props are just as good as the original force prop.
good luck Wayne

You could have bought a new Hustler here cheaper than the repair...

https://dansdiscountprops.com/BuyNow/propWizard.cfm?pageID=propWizard.php&locationID=55&option=1996&selectionID=2216666_A2UYdnJfZkz#propWizard

KMixson said:
FishingCop said:
told by the marina guy that it will be stronger than new.....

"Stronger than New"? Next time it might break something other than the prop?

It won't be stronger than a stainless. That's what the rubber or plastic hubs (or shear pins) are for.

It could be stronger than the original. A proper weld joint will not break before the base metal on either side of it gives.