new 15hp outboard

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kully560

Reaction score
can anybody recommend a 15hp outboard that is good . I looked online at tohatsu , mercury, evinrude , Yamaha, and Suzuki. it seems the Yamaha and evinrude are carb motors if that is bad or good?it looks like several of the companys are made in the same factory in japan for what I see online but who knows? can anybody recommend one brand over the other as I am looking for just a tiller motor with a 15" shaft, a 4 stroke motor, manual start. it will be use mostly fresh water and maybe a little salt water . thanks kully

I went with a Tohatsu. So far I really like it but only one season and 25 hours on it. From what I understand its the same as Mercury. I have the 20 hp and got my best price from Boats.net

thanks for your comments , I do not know much about these 4 stroke outboards as I was brought up on 2 strokes and name brands back then like mercury ,Evinrude , Johnson .I would like to here more about these newer outboards, I am glad to here you tohatsu is treating you fine !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LDUBS said:
For whatever it is worth, 30 HP and under Mercury outboards are made by Tohatsu. I had a 25 HP Merc 4-stroke on my last boat. It was a great motor.
Also to add to that.. the small 4 stroke evinrude are also tohatsu

The tohatsu's are good motors but Suzuki, Yamaha and Honda are also good.. really you can't go wrong nowadays with any choice.. what is really boils down to is how close is your nearest dealer for warranty and good service.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

kully560 said:
can anybody recommend a 15hp outboard that is good . I looked online at tohatsu , mercury, evinrude , Yamaha, and Suzuki. it seems the Yamaha and evinrude are carb motors if that is bad or good?it looks like several of the companys are made in the same factory in japan for what I see online but who knows? can anybody recommend one brand over the other as I am looking for just a tiller motor with a 15" shaft, a 4 stroke motor, manual start. it will be use mostly fresh water and maybe a little salt water . thanks kully

Ck out onlineoutboards.com. Spec's weight, price etc.
microskiff.com has good info too.
I have a Tohatsu 20 15" electric, EFi, tilt. Looks like they have gone up 10% since oct. 2018.
Good hunting.