New boat owner! UPGRADES NEXT!!???'s Updates

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mykdee

Reaction score
The family is picking up a 2009 Alumacraft T12V, with a Johnson 15hp 2stroke outboard, that was rebadged 9.9hp, 55lb trolling motor. Will be adding a few seats and front platform, will post pics when I have it in hand!!
Alright next on the table, want to build a casting platform up front, and floor boards between the benches, I know it is only 12ft but I want this to be as comfortable as possible for the family!!!
1st: As far as the building goes, would it be better to build the platform out of 2x2's for the frame and 1/2 marine plywood or 1x1 1/8" thick square aluminum tubing with 3/4" plywood?
2nd: Will 1 RV battery be enough to power a 55lb trooling motor & a stereo?
3rd: As far as putting carpet on the benches, does everyone just glue it straight to the bench or cover a piece of plywood and bolt it to the bench?
4th: What is the best/easiest way to waterproof the WOOD!!!!!!!!

Just brought the boat home, to dark for picks, will post tomorrow. Paid $1900 for everything! Looks brand new!! Very excited!

Aluminum is the ideal choice for framing, but is expensive...it comes down to your wallet really...2x2 lumber has worked well for many folks here. Either way you go with the framing, top it with 1/2 inch ply - it will be plenty strong. 3/4 is overkill if you ask most folks...some feel better with 3/4 but it will add a lot of weight to that lil 12 footer.

Water sealing wood is not a hard job but is time consuming - you will sand, coat, sand, coat, sand, coat and then possible sand and coat again. ;). Use spar urethane.

for your trolling battery you will want a deep cycle battery...

Carpeting I don't think it matter which way you choose to do that...I think the most people do it over wood, but that is cause we have wood decks/benches...carpet is glued to the aluminum sides often so I can't see why the benches would be any different if you choose to do that.

Use exterior grade plywood. Marine grade is overpriced. Whatever you decide to use just make sure to NEVER use any sort of treated wood that will contact the aluminum because it will react with the metal.

When you seal the wood, make sure to cover both sides as well as the edges with a minimum of 3 coats to get proper protection. Same goes for the inside of any holes drilled through the material.

If you are going to floor the boat, you might want to consider using some pink or blue foam board between the ribs under the wood floor. This will give you some added flotation as well as support for the floor between the ribs.

Congrats on the boat and get us plenty of pics soon.

We like pics!

Here a few photos, started the front platform.
IMG_5726.jpg

IMG_5728.jpg

IMG_5732.jpg

Got most of the framing and flooring done! First boat build, what do you guys think so far?
IMG_5732-1.jpg

IMG_5740.jpg

IMG_5744.jpg

IMG_5749.jpg

Latest posts