New guy, need help getting a decent motor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I look at outboards as if they were cars, we have a nearly 3 years old son that already loves to fish...so since I for some time lost faith in "domestic" motors/outboards I naturally looked at what we drive,own and after seeing a great dependable Honda SUV and a Toyota car in a driveway,a Honda lawnmower,a Honda snow blower (Canada eh),Honda pressure washer,Honda generator for camping, Yamaha home emergency generator...we bought two Honda outboards for our 14.5"Lund....a 25 HP and 2 HP !..... and we love them !....just my .2¢

Low speed needle...Just verifying this needs replaced-very worn and bent. $40 on marine engine.com

Thanks! Rest of carb looks ok, looks like fuel was off so didn't varnish carb. Was not able to remove fixed orifice plug (part of fixed high speed needle thing) but it is open so I figure that's ok?

John

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 467
Ordered more parts, low speed needle, couple of gaskets, screws, 2nd coil (wondered if anyone noticed in my Christmas pic that I only ordered 1.....).

Hopefully this will be it for a while. Carb is rebuilt per service manual. I don't completely understand carbs - but I don't know how this computer works either, but I still use it.

Tomorrow I will do a little trailer work and might even try to start motor with rebuilt carb - will see, still need to pick up spark plugs and swap out water impeller.

Off topic - is there a way to modify title of thread? Should I move this to a non-motor only thread?

Thanks again.

DanMC - I know what you are saying. My wife has a Ford diesel for pulling the horse trailer, other than that I have 3 Toyotas - 1994 Land Cruiser, 2010 Corolla, and 2013 Rav4 (teenage driver car). The 94 has 240K+ miles and the 2010 has 140K+. :D

Update:

Put all back together, put in new spark plugs and top one would not tighten to 20 ft lbs per service manual. I am sure I screwed up and crossthreaded....

was trying to get started - it turned over once, but that was it. Checked spark, bottom was good, nothing from top. so...since I had one coil and other various parts....tore down to magneto and replaced the forward coil and spark plug wire as well as both condensors. breaker points and contact looked ok as far as I can tell, I am no expert though.

Put it back together - yep, top spark plug is loose, but cranked it anyway.....I think it tried to fire because the plug ended up about 10 feet down the driveway!

Unfortunately, I don't see a head available on marineengine.com Anyone know where I can find one? Would tapping the threads be enough? Not sure what kind of pressures I am dealing with.

Thanks!

John

Pick up a spark plug hole repair kit. You get the tap and helicoil.

I have one in my 2 HP johnson (threads eventually rotted away in salt environment) and its works just fine.

Best to pull the head off if putting a tap/insert in. Can be done on the motor, but you're risking shavings in the cylinder even if you take all the precautions. Taking the head off also make it easy to keep the tap square to the hole. I also used a dab of locktight red to make sure the insert doesn't come back out with the spark plug on removal.

Cheers

Super,

I'll pull the head and do that this week at home.

Thanks for the knowledge!

John

You can pick up spark plug thread repair kits at napa. Some have helicoils some are just inserts. Mine was an insert, directions said to use high temp RTV sealant. Well the insert came out with the plug so I used Loc-tite on it ,no problems since and that was years ago.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=362029#p362029 said:
Johnsboat » Yesterday, 19:21[/url]"]Super,

I'll pull the head and do that this week at home.

Thanks for the knowledge!

John

NP.

Just make sure you have a head gasket on hand to replace the old one.

what part of ohio are you from? i grew up right near the ohio river just outside of wellsville in the middle of no where. you may be a little frustrated with it right now but stick with it. there is no better feeling than when you get it to fire and run good for the first time. i just started tinkering with these old outboards about a year ago and now i've brought 4 of them back from the dead. all omc's. the older the better. they still knew how to make stuff that lasts back then and there are no expensive electrical systems to deal with. after you get that plug hole fixed and no spark on one cylinder issue figured out make sure you clean that carb WELL let it soak and blow it out with air. you can get that little metal plug out by knocking a sharp punch through it and it will pry right out. i have learned that if you dont get carb cleaner then compressed air through every single orifice and jet that you will regret it later. good luck

Thanks or all the tips. Weekend update: put it all back together and started right up. Not sure I have the lean/rich settings figured out. Went for a short oat ride - with oars on hand as back-up!) and ran well for about 10 minutes, then became hard to keep running - if I kept choke on it would start and run for a it, then die out. Will need to learn some more about carburation.

Very happy with progress right now!

Johnsboat
How clean is the gas tank?
There is a filter on the gas fitting in the tank, might need cleaning.
Is the vent in the gas cap open and clear?
Just a couple of things to check before taking the carb off.
Good Luck with Your motor.

Steve A W