New member from east Texas

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoneDigger

Reaction score
Hello everyone! About two years ago I decided to buy a small Jon boat and ended up with a Sundolphin American 12 plastic boat. I have been very, very unhappy with that boat. It's extremely tippy and has no floor drainage. Today I picked up a used Alweld 1542 and I'm excited to get this boat out on the water. The difference in size between the Sundolphin and the Alweld is like night and day. I have owned everything from bay boats, to 20-foot bass boats, to kayaks, but this is my first aluminum boat and I expect it will serve my purposes perfectly. It's currently outfitted with an older 2-stroke Mercury 15, but I'm honestly thinking of just putting my ePropulsion Spirit 1.0 on it. I really don't need to get anywhere fast since the lakes I fish are all under 1,000 acres. I'm excited about being on this forum and hope I will be able to contribute.

Thanks guys! I am looking forward to getting the new boat out on the water and testing it out. The plastic boat is okay for what it is. The big issues are that it's very tippy and has no drainage in the floor. Any water that gets in has to be drained with a pump and a sponge.

Congrats and WELCOME!

You are going to like that boat. I would advise you to run it with that 15 for awhile before making any outboard decisions. You may find a favorite spot is 2 miles away, and regret slowly getting there and back with the electric. Buy a nice trolling motor instead. It will do the same thing, if you want.

I've faced the same decision, and in the end, those little outboards run so smoothly, that I choose to run the main distance with the 15, then use the electric motor when getting closer to the fishing.

Having the 15 will come in handy when you suddenly turn around and see a black nasty storm bearing down on you, and you need to get off the water fast.

Welcome aboard...I lived outside San Antonio for a few years and fished Canyon Lake a bit. I would keep the 15hp even on a 1k acre lake if the fish aren't biting at the dam and you decide to head to the other end of the lake the 15 will get you there 4x+ faster and burn very little fuel doing it.