New member/poster...need some opinions on an asking price

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golfrnut

Reaction score
I know...I know. First post on here, but need some opinions. I have been browsing CL for a couple of weeks now. Had a few boats in mind that were all equipped with outboards, so a little lost on the average pricing on newer jons without one. I grew up in the trout streams, and never really boat-fished until I left home. After quite a few years away from the water, occasionally looking for a nice boat to call my own, I am back in the hunt again.

I hopped around CL this morning and found a new listing I am pretty interested in. Has a pusher/pull with no outboard, seems like a price that's pretty par for the course, but I am not as fluent as many are on a good pricie. Looking for some opinions from others. Fair? About right? High?

https://fayetteville.craigslist.org/boa/4509193002.html

Thanks in advance. If I finally become an owner, I promise to frequent here more often. ;) I can already see this one is lacking some lights, features, etc that I would like to add.

I'm no expert by any means but for that price I would expect to have an outboard on it, and a decent sized one at that. Seems high to me but maybe the location has something to do with it. I'd keep shopping tbh.

Thanks for the imput. From what I have seen, most 1448s run around the 1900-2200 range, new. Of course, that varies with maker, hulls, etc. Add the trailer, and around $800 more. Motors seem to be all across the board, and very few listed by themselves. As i will openly admit, I know very little about motor value/pricing nor what I should really be looking at as far as "depreciation" on the boats themselves on the newer models. TBH, most the newer ones(2000yr and up), are all listed around this price range. Just not sure if everyone is on the high side at the start or if that is really where the market is around here. Unfortunately, we don't get to see the selling prices of what it goes for, so I'm looking for opinion though asking around.

Location has a lot to do with price. I live in MD not far from chesapeake bay and around here that boat at that price is a good deal. The fact that its a welded hull and not riveted really drives up the price. If that thing had a good running 25hp ouboard on it it would easily sell for$3000-3500. As it sits with the trolling motors its anywhere around $200-2500 around here.

You've got analysis paralysis. Go see the boat in person. You should have a good idea of what used OBs go for and use the total as a budget check. The apparently nice condition and welded construction are real pluses IMHO.

I know the list prices of what's around, but not what is really selling, or really what it goes for.

I'm semi on the fence too. There are two sides I can play on. There are a couple(Lowe, CL, etc) riveted jons with 25HP OBs listed in the 3000-3500 range with trailor. The couple that I have really looked at are in the 2005yr(boat and motor) and above. They don't seem too bad considering what I see the OB motors listed independently going for around here. ON the flip side, most people have taken the trollers and small stuff off them for use elsewhere. Not large sums of money, but it all adds up. On the other side, you see the ones that are equipped with the trollers, and priced cheaper. From a ready to fish standpoint, most of my fishing waters are not large, and trollers will put me in the water pretty fast. If I look at the price difference, you are talking about $1500-2000 for ones with OBs and ones without(but still equipped with trollers, other features, etc) when we start talking 20-20HP OBs. Is $1500 about right for a 2000yr+ 20-25 HP outboard? I have no idea personally. Do I need a motor that big? Nah. Do I WANT a motor that big, sure, why not if the price sits right. All depends on where I can find the best bang for the buck. In either direction, I have enough money to fit it like I want, just not sure where the best value lies.

And yes, I am a bit of an over-thinker. In an area that is not really something I have much knowledge in, I am even worse.

Thanks for the inputs from everyone so far...

Latest posts