New spinning combo

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

albright1695

Reaction score
Im looking for a new spinning combo for shakey head and drop shot fishing. Looking to spend around $100 but less is better :lol: Not much experience with either technique so trying not to spend too much until I improve on these techniques. Any recommendations appreciated.

Also what line do you guys recommend? Would fluorocarbon work well for both techniques?

I would say that Flouro is absolutely required for dropping and will help out pretty much any worm variation like the shaky; if you're planning on using this rig as a dual purpose, you probably want to set up 8-10 LBS test, otherwise go lighter test w/the drop shot. My only suggestions about the rod is to buy a 7' Fast-Extra Fast action and Medium power-there are going to be a lot more good affordable rods in this range, then you stiffen the back w/the good old duct tape trick. Doing that will give you a good rod for regular worms if you decide that drop shotting and shaky head aren't for you. As far as drop shots go, I'll tell you the biggest mistake most beginners make is waving the rod tip around too much which ends up taking the weight off the bottom, making noise, and ruining the presentation. The two techniques I've found to work well are: hold the rod with one hand near the upper grip, then just tap the butt just above the grip with your forefinger on the hand holding the rod; the other is to hold the rod in one hand, gripping it just below the reel, then squeezing the rod as hard as you can (this creates the slightest of swimming motion in the bait) for about 2 seconds, then resting 3 seconds - lather, rinse, repeat.. Keep in mind that you're fishing with lighter test with this method so your hook set isn't huge, just lift and reel when you get a strike otherwise you'll only catch small fish (the bigger ones will break you off every time).

Latest posts