Night fishing batteries

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been having a bit of trouble with two of my HID's. Thinking it's either the ballast or ignitor causing problems. Was about to purchase 2 new ballasts and then remembered the discussion in this thread. For just a little more than I would have paid for 2 new ballasts I ordered this LED light bar from Amazon. Pretty impressed so far, especially for $36.99. Used it this past weekend heading to a hunting spot, but the fog on the river was too thick to make any light useful. Was easy for me to wire up since all I did was remove the two questionable HID's and using the same mounting holes and plugs, hooked up the light bar. It pulls 10.5 amps. I also re-mounted the other two HID's further starboard and port to give me even more lighting. By my calculations I'm getting close to 20,000 lumens. I'll try and get some better pictures and a more thorough review this weekend when I'll have my boat back out chasing ducks.

IMG_20160108_170936_zpsxwqac560.jpg

Light bar only
IMG_20160108_175618_zpsph3fw49b.jpg

BigTerp said:
I've been having a bit of trouble with two of my HID's. Thinking it's either the ballast or ignitor causing problems. Was about to purchase 2 new ballasts and then remembered the discussion in this thread. For just a little more than I would have paid for 2 new ballasts I ordered this LED light bar from Amazon. Pretty impressed so far, especially for $36.99. Used it this past weekend heading to a hunting spot, but the fog on the river was too thick to make any light useful. Was easy for me to wire up since all I did was remove the two questionable HID's and using the same mounting holes and plugs, hooked up the light bar. It pulls 10.5 amps. I also re-mounted the other two HID's further starboard and port to give me even more lighting. By my calculations I'm getting close to 20,000 lumens. I'll try and get some better pictures and a more thorough review this weekend when I'll have my boat back out chasing ducks.

IMG_20160108_170936_zpsxwqac560.jpg

Light bar only
IMG_20160108_175618_zpsph3fw49b.jpg

Thanks for the post, I just ordered that same light because of it. What gauge wire did you use? Did you put an inline fuse and if so what size did you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used the old connections for one of my HID's to plug into. It is a Deutsch type connector. When I ran my HID's I used 14 AWG wire, IIRC. I already had 2 30 amp relays for my HID's, 2 lights wired to one relay. So the LED is now connected to one of those relays. If you go with an inline fuse, 15-20 amps should be plenty. The light draws 10.5 amps.

Was out hunting this past Saturday, but the fog was again super thick. Any type of light would have been useless.

BigTerp said:
I used the old connections for one of my HID's to plug into. It is a Deutsch type connector. When I ran my HID's I used 14 AWG wire, IIRC. I already had 2 30 amp relays for my HID's, 2 lights wired to one relay. So the LED is now connected to one of those relays. If you go with an inline fuse, 15-20 amps should be plenty. The light draws 10.5 amps.

Was out hunting this past Saturday, but the fog was again super thick. Any type of light would have been useless.
Thanks, I might be able to get wired in time for my last hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk