Nissan Outboard Starter Question #NS40C

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BloodStone

Reaction score
Hello;
I just brought another boat & it has a 1988 40hp Nissan outboard #NS40C with full controls. The starter is shot (it was all rusted to Hell-I'm guessing it's the original). With the help of a neighbor friend of mine, I cleaned it up & tried rebuilding it but, it still doesn't function properly. :( The starter is a Hitachi # S108-98 & it costs anywhere between $180.00-$250.00+ to buy (depending where) & the 1992 is about $84.00. Anyway what I was wanting to know is, would a starter from a 1992 Nissan 40hp NS40C would work (see link)? Outside of a bolt hole on both sides near the top of the 1992 starter, I see no fundamental difference between the 2 starters. How about between a Hitachi #S108-98 & a #S108-94? Thanks

1992 NS40C Starter
https://www.ebay.com/itm/301130457717?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

1988 NS40C Starter
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NISSAN-Toh...Accessories_Gear&hash=item2338484521&vxp=mtr

From what I can see, looks like the mounting holes are not directly opposite each other on the $85 one. The part in the Sierra catalog is $485, ouch! Other differences can be seen also, grd lug on $85 starter, none on yours, could be accomodated though. Top flange is bit different too. Does not function properly how? Will it spin? Is the coil open? Maybe a professional starter rebuilding shop could help.
Tim

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=364405#p364405 said:
earl60446 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:47 am[/url]"]From what I can see, looks like the mounting holes are not directly opposite each other on the $85 one. The part in the Sierra catalog is $485, ouch! Other differences can be seen also, grd lug on $85 starter, none on yours, could be accomodated though. Top flange is bit different too. Does not function properly how? Will it spin? Is the coil open? Maybe a professional starter rebuilding shop could help.Tim

Well after consulting with a local Starter/Alternator rebuild shop, apparently that 1992 starter listed here is what is suppose to be on my motor.
The other he says is for a 30hp motor. The difference is, the 1992 #S108-112 has 2 threaded flange holes, the Hitachi #108-98 does not. And you're right too about the ground lug (no biggie). Other than that, both have 9 splines, both rotate counter clockwise etc..(he checked the specs on both starters).
To answer your other questions about the original; when I got it,I had to move the bendex up by hand to meet the flywheel. Even after that it only moved it 4-5" at a time then quit working altogether (the previous owner had to tap on it with a wrench to get it to move). After the "rebuild", the starter just spins at what looks like half speed & the bendex gear doesn't move at all on it's own (up or down). Also, it appears to be running in the opposite direction (clockwise). And the shop says they can't rebuild it (I.e. #S108-98) anyways because they can't get the parts for it. So I'm looking at getting the #S108-112 (or #S108-94) because by all indications it'll work. This might actually be the right starter after all for my motor & is definitely more in my affordability range.
[-o<

If the starter is running in the wrong direction, that pinion gear will never go up. Maybe the leads are reversed? In any case I hope the $85 one works for you as the starter people mentioned, best of luck.
Tim