Outboard Maintenance

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Sequel

Reaction score
Well, I've went and bought my first boat. (Except for the Portabote I've had for awhile with only a TM.) It has a 30 HP Evinrude with a jet prop. The PM told me it was a 1987 model and it starts and runs well. I've had it out a few times now with no problems.

Does anyone have any recommendations for info for general maintenance? I realize how important it is to keep the fuel fresh and/or stabilized and have done that. What else does one need to do with them? I see a few zerks and have greased them but I don't know if there are others. I'll try to post a picture. I can't find a serial number but maybe I'm just blind.

Having trouble posting the pic so here is a link.

https://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa291/TheSequelinWood/Boat/IMG_0393.jpg

https://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa291/TheSequelinWood/Boat/IMG_0390.jpg

Your serial and model numbers are shown in the pic I enclosed. They should be there.

Make sure it is pumping water out of the pee hole. Its on the underside of the cowling towards the back. If its not, replace the water pump impeller.

If its running well, I wouldn't break down the carb right now - but that is good maintenence as well. New plugs too if you want to.

Attachments

• IMG_0393.jpg
    IMG_0393.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 974
One thing that I do every year is to check for loose nuts/bolts. The motor vibrations can cause things to loosen up. Also, check moving parts for premature wear, ie. linkages, choke, shifter.

WTL said:
Your serial and model numbers are shown in the pic I enclosed. They should be there.
quote]

I wondered if that is where it was supposed to be. You can't tell it in the picture, but the tag or sticker is missing and what you are seeing in the picture is more of the "shadow" of where it was. Is there a number anywhere else on the motor?

Latest posts