Paint for Trailer: Layer 2 Electric Booglo

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used the tractor supply paint on my boat. I does take a long time to dry. I did not use the hardener though. Mine actually took more than a month to get to its full hardness. I used a HVLP compressor sprayer for mine, so the coats were not as thick as if it were brushed or rolled on. I wish I had known about the hardener when I did mine! It finally toughened up fairly well, but I will probably use something else on the hull next time, and save the tractor paint for the trailer. I hope it's a long time beforeI have to paint the hull again though! [-o<

Well Gramps I think your right about the hardener. First round of painting I just dumped the hole thing of hardener in the gallon bucket even though it says this is ok I think that that's where my paint suffered to much paint not enough hardener. Plus of course I find out it only has a shelf life of 8 hrs after mixing. Great bucket wasted stupid me.

So this round, I mix aprox what I think I'll use in a separate can. And add the hardener to that. I feel I may have put a little more than needed but oh well.

So I begin to paint after a while I can tell things are going much better, it's really starting to dry much faster this round.

After the trailer is done and I paint a few more accessories the trailer is really starting to dry very well now.

So I think the first round was my fault mixing the hardner in the bucket of paint instead of separating out an amount I needed and add hardener to that.

So I'll give it 24 hrs and check on the trailer tomorrow night. Glad I went up to the shop, plenty of room out of the wind, and minimum bugs.

My buddy said it should be dry to the touch in about an hour or so and that after 24 hours it's hard. He doesn't use implement paint, he said that stuff is made to paint over grease and dirt. He uses enamal & said what kind but I forgot what he said.

Anyway sounds like your on the right track this round.

Here is the new trailer pics

imagenhy.jpg

imagetnm.jpg

Its feeling pretty durable after sitting 24 hrs. I think i got the hardener/paint mixture much better this time.

The paint looks good. Are doing the smaller parts now? Any Are you going to do any pin striping on the trailer or any other colors?

Thanks!

no pin striping :( hehe it would be pretty cool though. But not going that detailed. Just glad to have a fresh strong coat / rust free of paint on it.

Yup just got a few little pieces left then run new wire, install trailer lights, guide-ons, and some bunk boards. Then i can finally work on boat!

This round of painting has restored my faith in the tractor paint it is some solid stuff with that magic hardener added. May use it for the exterior of the boat... may. Unless there is a reason i shouldn't, or there is something better for the exterior.

On the boat I am thinking of painting it a black and red body. About 3/4 of the body black, and the top 1/4 with red. My jeep is Black and that black body boat with a little red on it should look pretty slick towed behind my jeep. :)

What is the best color to paint a boat that catches more fish? lol jk