Paint removal-Please bare with me on this.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben2go

Reaction score
My boat was painted with exterior laytex paint.I was told that aircraft paint stripper(like many here have used) will cause the paint to soften but not release from the hull.I was also told to use a heat gun and peel the paint off with a metal putty knife.My thoughts are on the fumes that would be released from the paint while heating.I tried sand paper but it gummed it up in a few rubs.It's like the paint isn't fully cured.I can run a finger nail over it,it will wrinkle up,but will not come completely off.There's still a thin layer on the hull.I attempted a wire wheel,but it gummed up too.Anyone ever dealt with removing house paint from an aluminum boat? [-o<

My experience with the aircraft remover was great, the secret is to let it work. Don't do it in the sun. It seems to work better in the shade, and besides that it'll be cooler on you... LOL Good luck and let us know how it does.

I doubt there's much in the way of fumes in latex, probably less than in paint stripper. I'd give the heat gun a try 1st, and stripper 2nd.

The stripper I used to use on cars had a pic of a corvette & an airplane on it, but I don't recall the brand....but it was good stuff. As Andy said, let the stripper work, apply a 2nd coat if needed.

ST

Thanks.I think I'm gonna heat and scrape then apply paint stripper.The weather is cooling so I should be fine under the carport.What should I put down to protect my paved drive way?Would paint stripper eat through plastic sheeting?

No, plastic (visqueen is a little heavier) is fine, but remember it can get slick when walking on it.

ST

SlimeTime said:
No, plastic (visqueen is a little heavier) is fine, but remember it can get slick when walking on it.

ST
Thanks.

My plan is to put the scrapings,used paint, and stripper in a bucket for recycling.I'm hoping to keep as much as possible from dropping onto the ground.I know I'll have to stand the boat on it's side to do the sides.That's no problem.I can lift the boat without help.

i had to strip one side of my boat i used paint stripper and it worked great put the stripper on a 3x3 area sit down have a cup of coffee and let the stripper work . then take a mudding knife (plastic ) you can get them 3 for a dollar in the hardware sec at walmart then just scrape the paint off

Latest posts