Painting my Johnson

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mossy535

Reaction score
[-X We're talking outboards here, so focus guys!

I want to repaint my 1966 20hp Johnson shown on the right side of the picture. (The 6hp Mercury will be a winter project) Anyway, any helpful tips such as:

1. How far down should I disassemble it to do a good job on the lower unit?

2. What are some off-the-shelf Rustoleum colors that would be a good match to the "French Silver" factory color for the lower unit or the "White" for the cowl?

3. Any handy tips for prepping the fiberglass cowl?

4. As seen in the second picture, the starting handle seems to be "recessed" into the cowl a bit. Should the "plate", for lack of a better term, be sitting on the outside of the cowl?

I'm going with a good self-etching primer, but I'm really at a quandary as to how far to tear it down.

normal_28_Apr_08_-_4.JPG

normal_PIC-0020%7E0.jpg

Sorry, on a computer that only has IE, so I can't link to the page, but go to iboats.com (not forum) and in the search bar, type in outboard paint. There should be one link that comes up. Click that and there ya go.

Take it down as far as you're comfortable doing.

If you're spraying it, take it to the color store & have them shoot it with a color match gun.

Primer like the rest. If the glass is checked (spiderweb cracking) it'll show-up through your new paint, so use a heavy surfacing primer to fill-in, and block sand it. Just don't sand "through" it.

I'm thinking it sets "inside" the cowl.Makes removing it easier.