Running Outboard Out of Water

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Sequel

Reaction score
My 30 HP Evinrude has a jet prop and there is a small hole in the jet prob for threading a garden hose so you can run it out of the water. The previous owner gave me the garden hose adaptor. My question is this, when I run it with only the garden hose running, nothing comes out the pee hole. When I run it in the lake, water comes out the pee hole. Is this a problem and if so, what is the fix? Also, do you all run fresh water through your motors when you get home or only if you've been in salt water? I only run in lakes and they are typically not terribly muddy.

When I had my Tracker with the 50hp Merc on the back, I flushed it everytime I came home from the lake (freshwater). I'm not a motor guy and don't have an answer of why there's no water coming out the pee-hole of your motor. I'm sure someone will be along soon with the proper answers. :)

I have no solid anwser to why the pee hole isn't peeing.Try starting the engine and then slowly turn on the water.As far as flushing the motor,It's a good idea to do it every time.I've noticed that impellers last longer when the engine is flushed soon after leaving the water.Gunk get's in there settles,hardens and causes the impeller to ware out faster.

Do you have good water pressure?Maybe the muffs are not on tight enough?Just reread...your not using muffs.Maybe thats the flushing hole and I'm not to sure if it comes out the pee hole from that.I've never flushed any of my motors.
I don't think your your suppose to run an outboard all that long using muffs and pretty sure your not supposed to open them up.Not sure with what your doing.
Just thought when you first start your motor in the open water,does I pump water right away.Maybe your themostat isn't opening when your using that port?

How long are you running the motor on the hose?

Does water start immediately coming from the indicator hole when in the water or does it take a while like the thermostat has to open up? A lot of those are tee'd into the line before the thermostat and serve simply as a visual that your pump is working but some of them are actually after the t'stat and won't show water until it opens.

I've only ran it a couple of minutes out of the water. I'll have to double check next time we're at the lake but if memory serves, it comes out the pee hole pretty quick when in the water. The port where I attach the garden hose is on the jet prop housing so it is adding the water down near the pickup point. If you look at this picture, the port is right next to the small white hose at the bottom of the jet prop assembly.

IMG_0393.jpg

I bet you don't have enough water flow..
Make sure you put your hand on the side to see if it's getting to hot.
One of those infrared thermometers would even be better.

Latest posts