Lower unit

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crabbin77

Reaction score
Got my first boat...been a learning experience to say the least. It's got a 1986 25 hp evinrude two stroke. Previous owner said it had sat for a year and I saw it tested it in water in a tub. Seemed ok. Since I got it I took it out once for about a couple hours fishing. Found some problems which I wanted to fix. So it's been out of the water since then. I noticed I've been running it with muffs or in a big tub to fix some idling issues. Noticed some very black oil leaking from the weeping holes and from around the prop. Read some posts and people suggested it was from unburnt oil from the motor running rich (which it was). However, when I opened the lower unit, couple of teaspoons of water emptied out and.....then nothing. No oil. The little bit of drops of oil that was in the water looked same color as what's been leaking.

So, my question is how much damage could I have caused running it for that couple hours I took it out and what is the likely problem and how can I fix it? Is my lower unit trash now?

Do a pressure test on that lower unit to see if it leaks. Also replace the water pump before using it again....numerous articles written and numerous videos on how to prepare a used but new owner boat motor.

Do a pressure test on that lower unit to see if it leaks. Also replace the water pump before using it again....numerous articles written and numerous videos on how to prepare a used but new owner boat motor.
Great thanks for the advice. I'll look up how to do a pressure test. Another noob question. Is there a reason why I'm changing the water pump? I didn't know it cools the lower unit.

Great thanks for the advice. I'll look up how to do a pressure test. Another noob question. Is there a reason why I'm changing the water pump? I didn't know it cools the lower unit.
Water pump impellor is only good for a few years, the rubber dries out and the entire engine relies on it for cooling. Because there was water in the lower unit you need to find the leak and a pressure test should do that. Once you find the leak, seals will need to be replaced. I would recomend you do some research on your motor for routine maintenence. If your going to do your own repairs, you will need to find a "factory" service manual, no aftermarket manuals....

Water pump is a failure point and routine maintenance item. I change mine out every 12 months. If I had a new to me outboard that had sat for a year, I would automatically do a new impeller just to be on the safe side.

Plugs, carb and lower unit/water pump/seals on new to me engines at least.

The reason you would change the impeller is you will be in that area already....And the motor is new to you..........So why not?