Running trolling motor wires and depthfinder wires

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernest T. Bass

Reaction score
I know a depthfinder's power cable and transducer cable cannot be run close to each other, but I have a couple questions.

1) If they run parallel to each other on my front deck, how far apart do they need to be?

2) Trolling motor wires and a depthfinder power cable can be run together, correct?

Thanks.

You're probably not going to have too much of a problem with the finder's power and transducer cables...the transducer cables are usually shielded, the power wire is pretty small, and at the finder they are side-by-side anyway.

The trolling motor is a different story, and can sometimes cause interference on the finder. I'd lay them out the way you'd like, and then see if you've got a problem when the motor is on...and btw, when you're testing don't run the motor out of the water very long.
If you get interference there's ways to cure it, or at least make it tolerable...separating the wires, adding ferrite filters, etc, etc...but the sure-fire cure is to run them off separate batteries and keep the wires apart.

Latest posts