Sad News - My River Has Been Poisoned

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RiverBottomOutdoors

Reaction score
If you guys have seen any of the big flatheads that I've shared on here, this river is where I catch most of them. This is the river that inspired the name of my little website - RiverBottomOutdoors.com. I feel sick to my stomach thinking about this.

Some wealthy CEO made the decision to not clean this poison up and now it has flooded into our river. He's stolen a friend from me. A place I go to find peace. And, I know that no one but the people who depend on this river and enjoy it will pay the price for what Duke Energy has done.

3rd largest coal ash spill in US history
https://myfox8.com/2014/02/06/dan-river-highly-toxic-due-to-duke-energy-coal-ash-spill/

The guy who lives across the street from my house has 60 acres of creek front property on Black Creek in NE Fl. He had several thousand tons of coal ash from the Jacksonville FL power plant trucked in to put on the roads he was bldg on his property. Now his property is a toxic site.Not to mention the runoff into the creek which is a major tributary to the St Johns River. Nevermind my property value... The power plant came and removed all of it but it was there for 2 years...arsenic is the major chemical thats the problem with coal ash. "They" say its not a problem as long as it isnt airborne. Try explaining that to a realtor or a family with kids that may want to buy your house! Point is I feel ur pain.... I also kno how helpless you are! You would think that with all the EPA regs and so called environmentalists out there that there is no way they could get away with this... Wrong! Its all about $$$$$$$$$$$.

it seems only right to me that the CEOs and directors of companies that are so cavalier with our precious environment should have eat food grown in the soil and drink the groundwater contaminated by their greedy and uncaring decisions. The pictures of homeowners lighting the "water" that comes out of their faucets make my blood boil. Sorry for the rant…gotta go hug a tree.

So sorry to hear about this :( I guess it's just that good ol' "Free Market" at work, which means their free to dump their filth where ever they like without any of those pesky regulations to get in the way. Funny how we're making fun of the water in at the Olympics in Russia when there have been 3-4 major chemical spills in the last couple months alone into our own aquifers and waterway. I can smell the flammable water from here. 'Murca!

That sucks man. When this stuff happens, it feels like a huge kick in the gut and/or nuts.

yeah I saw that, a buddy of mine down in Martinsville has been posting on FB about the spill.
sucks big time! but it isn't all over the news like the spill in W.Va last month.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=341072#p341072 said:
kfa4303 » 51 minutes ago[/url]"]So sorry to hear about this :( I guess it's just that good ol' "Free Market" at work, which means their free to dump their filth where ever they like without any of those pesky regulations to get in the way. Funny how we're making fun of the water in at the Olympics in Russia when there have been 3-4 major chemical spills in the last couple months alone into our own aquifers and waterway. I can smell the flammable water from here. 'Murca!

It's funny you mention the regulations and "free market".... In Virginia, as we speak, their is legislation in the works to allow hunting on Sunday - currently illegal. This legislation is supported and lobbied for by the NRA, supported by our state Department of Game and Inland Fishery and our Democrat governor.........every single Delegate and Senator that has voted against this legislation in the 2014 session is Republican...the same guys that support deregulation of industries that are poisoning our waterways.

There are no real Republicans left.....they believe in limited government only when it lines their pockets and have no concern for the people.

"...of the people, by the people, for the people..... " WTF happened!?

Bro I saw that on my MSN home page yesterday,

I’m so sorry. I can only imagine how you feel; I know I would be devastated if it happened to me. I’m not one those persons that’s sue happy but I don’t see another way. This happened because someone or several people were negligent and I would contact every litigator you can find and ask about “class action lawsuit or an individual one.
They’ve taking away something important from you and you should be compensated!

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=341078#p341078 said:
RiverBottomOutdoors » Yesterday, 10:54[/url]"]
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=341072#p341072 said:
kfa4303 » 51 minutes ago[/url]"]So sorry to hear about this :( I guess it's just that good ol' "Free Market" at work, which means their free to dump their filth where ever they like without any of those pesky regulations to get in the way. Funny how we're making fun of the water in at the Olympics in Russia when there have been 3-4 major chemical spills in the last couple months alone into our own aquifers and waterway. I can smell the flammable water from here. 'Murca!

It's funny you mention the regulations and "free market".... In Virginia, as we speak, their is legislation in the works to allow hunting on Sunday - currently illegal. This legislation is supported and lobbied for by the NRA, supported by our state Department of Game and Inland Fishery and our Democrat governor.........every single Delegate and Senator that has voted against this legislation in the 2014 session is Republican...the same guys that support deregulation of industries that are poisoning our waterways.

There are no real Republicans left.....they believe in limited government only when it lines their pockets and have no concern for the people.

"...of the people, by the people, for the people..... " WTF happened!?

Everything is backwards these days it seems, the labels are almost irrelevant anymore, but if you follow the money, you usually find the answer. Although, I wonder what in the world the "reason" is for not letting folks hunt on a Sunday? Who could possible stand to gain anything from that? I'm a non-hunting, tree hugging, vegetarian myself, but I can't imagine why it would matter what day of the week someone else goes hunting? That's like saying I can't plant tomatoes on a Tuesday. We need as many folks in the woods and on the water as possible. Both for the revenues and for management purposes. Never mind the fact that recreational hunters/fisherman generally make the best stewards of the land and sea. After all, they're the ones using it everyday.
On the bright side, I do think folks from all areas of the political and social spectrum are starting to wake up to the reality that they're being shamelessly exploited by the big guys. I know in my area more and more folks are trying to buy and sell locally or simply skipping the middle man and doing for themselves. It's kind of neat that in this day and age of iphones, playstations and all the rest that we're also seeing more and more local farms, restaurants and services pop up. I just read an article about the massive DECLINE by young people in the use of social media like FB, twitter, etc.... Who'd a thunk it? Let's hope we can keep it going.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=341042#p341042 said:
reedjj » 06 Feb 2014, 22:27[/url]"]The guy who lives across the street from my house has 60 acres of creek front property on Black Creek in NE Fl. He had several thousand tons of coal ash from the Jacksonville FL power plant trucked in to put on the roads he was bldg on his property. Now his property is a toxic site.Not to mention the runoff into the creek which is a major tributary to the St Johns River. Nevermind my property value... The power plant came and removed all of it but it was there for 2 years...arsenic is the major chemical thats the problem with coal ash. "They" say its not a problem as long as it isnt airborne. Try explaining that to a realtor or a family with kids that may want to buy your house! Point is I feel ur pain.... I also kno how helpless you are! You would think that with all the EPA regs and so called environmentalists out there that there is no way they could get away with this... Wrong! Its all about $$$$$$$$$$$.

I live in south GA and there was a big movement aroudn our town to keep the fly ash stuff outta here they wanted to bring it in from jax.

The Potomac has had a fish advisory for years due to upstream pollution. We don't keep cats over 20" and only do that once or twice a year.

It's always a sad occasion when any of our natural resources is damaged like this regardless of the how's and why's.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=341213#p341213 said:
kfa4303 » Yesterday, 11:34[/url]"]

Everything is backwards these days it seems, the labels are almost irrelevant anymore, but if you follow the money, you usually find the answer. Although, I wonder what in the world the "reason" is for not letting folks hunt on a Sunday? Who could possible stand to gain anything from that? I'm a non-hunting, tree hugging, vegetarian myself, but I can't imagine why it would matter what day of the week someone else goes hunting? That's like saying I can't plant tomatoes on a Tuesday. We need as many folks in the woods and on the water as possible. Both for the revenues and for management purposes. Never mind the fact that recreational hunters/fisherman generally make the best stewards of the land and sea. After all, they're the ones using it everyday.
On the bright side, I do think folks from all areas of the political and social spectrum are starting to wake up to the reality that they're being shamelessly exploited by the big guys. I know in my area more and more folks are trying to buy and sell locally or simply skipping the middle man and doing for themselves. It's kind of neat that in this day and age of iphones, playstations and all the rest that we're also seeing more and more local farms, restaurants and services pop up. I just read an article about the massive DECLINE by young people in the use of social media like FB, twitter, etc.... Who'd a thunk it? Let's hope we can keep it going.

If you start researching Blue Laws, the bible belt, and the whole "separation of church and state" you can find some strange laws that are still on the books out there. We use to have one blue law that said we could buy a can of beans on Sunday, but we weren't allowed to buy a can opener in order to eat those same beans if it was Sunday.

I'm not sure what is happening in your area, but around here the small farmers are steadily being swallowed up by big business. While I've never been a fan of government subsidizing in any form (good ideas gone bad from abuse), the recent cancellation of subsidy monies for farmers is only going to hasten this process. And "nonexistence" would be the best way to describe all of the "mom n pop" businesses that use to be around here. The Walmarts and other chains swallowed them up a long time ago.

Politics and religion are forbidden topics for discussion here (for good reasons) so we're probably on thin ice here since both have been mentioned already. :lol:

It always amazes me what these company's get away with. Total disregard for the environment.

There was a chemical plant in my town that produced arsenic based herbicides for over 50 years. Guess where all the by product ended up? It turned out to be an EPA Superfund site for about 20 years. They just finished up in 2012. https://www.epa.gov/r02earth/superfund/npl/vineland/