Speedo plugged - opinions please

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdover73

Reaction score
I have a Lowe Stinger 170 with a Merc 60 4-stroke. I took it out the other day and must have picked up some trash in the intake to the speedo because it stopped working. It would respond erratically to speed. Wide open it would show 10mph, stop and it would show the same. I called Cabelas and they said to bring it right in and they would flush it out. I appreciated the promptness they showed, but they are about 60 miles from my home. I don't go that way often and my '03 Dodge with the HEMI just don't get that good of mileage anymore!! For something as simple as this I would think I could flush it myself. Can anyone tell me if I'm right or do I just need to take it in? It is only 2 months old with no other problems.
Also, is this a common problem with speedo's? Is there anything I can do to keep it from happening?

It acts on air pressure created by the pitot pickup. It could be clogged either at the pickup (likely) or in the actual tube itself (less likely).

You should be able to run a heavy test fishing or weed eater line through to break up any minor obstructions.

I;m ignorant to this, dont understand anything, I have a 16 ft. Stinger and my speedo works off of pressure, it has a white plastic thing that hangs down near the transducer, I took mine back because speedo didnt work and since I only have a 9.9 on the back it wasnt generateing enough pressure to make it work. I bought a Lowrance with a paddle wheel, anyway if yours has that pressure thing it might be broke.

I have the one mounted in the foot of the motor itself. Some have the white plastic pitot on the back of the boat and others are like mine with a small hole in the front of the foot on the motor that feeds pressure through a tube to the speedo. The hole is located on the very front of the "V", just perfect for logs to aim for!
I just talked to the service manager at Cabelas and he said they are tied up with a lot of work. He told me quite frankly the speedo is always the first to go and it's no big loss. He was being honest, not sarcastic. But if I wanted it working because it is there, then I should be able to run a small drill bit by hand into the pick up orifice. I will try that when I get home. I did hit a small limb in the water Sunday that probably just jammed some wood in to the hole.

I took care of it. Like the service manager at Cabela's said, it was some wood jammed in the pick up hole in the front of the lower unit. A small drill bit popped it right out. I couldn't tell if anyting was further up, or if the tube itself has trash in it, but I will find out the next time I take it out.

Latest posts