Start cord spring

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SVNET

Reaction score
Hello,

The started cord was getting stock and not rewinding so I had the great idea of taking it apart,
and I was right, all need was to be cleaned, it was full of gummy sticky stuff, but now I cant
wind the spiral cable back into the housing.

Any idea of how that is done ?

What a pain that the start pull broke... I have to rewind manually every single pull, not fun!

I just came from the yard trying to start the motor and it actually starts and run for about 30 sec and then shuts off...

I think is lack of fuel, when I put starting fuel through the air intake and I also spray a bit of gas/oil mix via the spark plug hole, then it starts and run until that bit of fuel burns out.

Between the engine and the gas tank, there is a clear fuel filter, like the one on cars, but it doesn't get full of gas ever.

I pump it with the inline manual pump, but even that won't get any fuel into the filter, I wonder if there is something wrong with the gas line, the tank or the fittings connectors.

Tomorrow I will put a shorter gas line straight from the tank to the engine to see if that helps any. I have a guess that the engine is not getting any gas and it is not able to pull any gas either...

The ex owner did tell me that the fuel pump was bad, but I will leave that for last, first I will make sure gas can travel from gas tank to engine by gravity...

Here is just some good info that I found on the net...

https://www.sschapterpsa.com/ramblings/Johnson_9.9_troubleshooting.htm

This might help on the starter recoil:
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4223

On the fuel, if it's not getting to the filter, you either have an incorrect fitting, a plugged line or filter, or bad primer bulb. All can be purchased fairly inexpensively. If you have a metal tank, I'd replace it as well with plastic.

Have you tried removing the fuel line & squeezing the primer (with the hose held into a jar)

ST

I have a plastic gas tank, I got rid of the gas that came with it and noticed that there was some particles inside the tank.

I did pressure was the tank with water, I dump as much of the water as I could, how long before all that water evaporates ?

I am now to the store to get a new manual pump and clear gas lines to trouble shoot where the gas problem is...

Latest posts