starting fresh on tackle, where would YOU start?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jyphotography

Reaction score
Ok, since I list my tackle box (wasnt much) in the accident I have to start fresh. I got a double sided plano box that I need to fill.

now with that said, where would you start, and what would you fill it with? Start with the small stuff and build it to the expensive stuff...

this will be my newb guide to getting what I need.

Oh Primarily Bass, but also catfishing!

let 'er RIP!

For starters get yourself a decent variety or good quality worm hooks. A good hook goes a long way. I would get yourself a variety of soft plastics, they are easy to learn and catch a ton of fish. After the plastics, I would get a few spinnerbaits and jigs. Get yourself some suspending jerkbaits and a few topwaters and I think you are good to go. You don't have to get the top dollar lures, but I would suggest the baits atleast have good hooks. If it does not have good hooks you will only be kicking yourself when you start losing fish after fish. As for the catfish, just some hooks, swivels, and sinkers and you are ready to go.

You don't need much to catch fish. Tackle collecting is a human addiction, the fish couldn't care less in most situations.

What jkbirocz and fish devil said. Walmart in Acworth has a decent selection of stuff. I stopped by there on the way home from the lake yesterday, but you should run down to Barrett Pkwy to Dicks Sporting Goods (75 South, go right off the exit ramp and up two lights on your left I believe) Their fishing section is up stairs and is pretty well stocked. They even carry stink bait for the catfish.

Jyphotography said:
Ok, since I list my tackle box (wasnt much) in the accident I have to start fresh. I got a double sided plano box that I need to fill.

now with that said, where would you start, and what would you fill it with? Start with the small stuff and build it to the expensive stuff...

let 'er RIP!

PM me your address, I will send you some stuff to get you started!

Jim

Who says membership doesn't have privileges?!?!?! Very nice gesture Jim. I met Jason and his son Saturday and he's a super nice guy... and a future bass fisherman :)

Poolie

that is awesome! I mean if you really do not mind I would be glad to take some hand me downs!

Its nice to be apart of a nice community!

Jim, Poolie, Russ010 you guys are great! well shoot everyone on this board is great! I cannot wait to start doing a boat build! It looks like its gonna be a fun time!

I would start with worms, and worm hooks. Try a few finesse worms, and senkos, in mostly natural colors (think green pumpkin, red shad, pumpkinseed, watermelonseed etc). Get some EWG hooks (I am a Gamakatsu guy), and some shakeyheads. Grab a few bullet weights, for Texas rigs. Possibly some larger ones for Carolina rigs, and go ahead and learn how to tie them.

Grab a few spinnerbaits (no tackle box is complete without those).

Get a good quality line. No bait is any good if a quality fish breaks it off.

That would be my starter kit. In fact, half the time I will be throwing those two. ALL of the other types of baits (cranks, jerks, topwaters, buzzbaits, etc) combined make up the other half.

I really don't know of a time when fish won't eat one of those two. Sure, there are times others will be more effective, but you can almost count on worms and spinnerbaits to net you something, all year long.

And to prove what bassboy said about spinnerbaits and worms. I bagged a 3.2 lb LM bass on a $3 white/chartreuse spinnerbait today.

poolie said:
And to prove what bassboy said about spinnerbaits and worms. I bagged a 3.2 lb LM bass on a $3 white/chartreuse spinnerbait today.

dag! where did you go.. we have a lake on our sub division... I didnt bag anything..

I thought I gotta bite, but when I set the hook I found my self snagged to a tree! ARGH!

Jim said:
Jyphotography said:

let 'er RIP!

PM me your address, I will send you some stuff to get you started!

Jim

KUDO'S JIM!!!!

:beer:

Spinnerbaits, plastic worms, worm hooks, bullet weights, rattletraps for bass...egg weights, swivels, dip bait and dip bait hooks for catfish, plus anything else you can cram into the new tackle box...lol.

One number 11 silver and black rapala minnow, the narrow one, not the fats...i think it's called properly the F11 (floating) Can be used a number of ways....

One pack of Zoom Speedworms with the tails cut off. Read my presentation article on this site's Home Page...I call them zoomies..they must be watermelon/red. Fish these weightless....

A couple jigs in greens and browns.....tip these with Netbait's Tiny Paca Chunks in green pumpkin.

Some Culprit Worms....7 inch in black....some 1/16 bullet type sinkers and 2/0 worm hooks with the bend in the shafts. A few wooden toothpicks for pegging the weights.

PM me your address and I'll send you some of the jigs I make.

in order to save you lots of time over the next few years, go to your bank and take out a small loan, about 4 to 5 thousand. then go to bass pro and buy 2 of everything.

I think he got a pretty good assortment of plastics last night... as well as 2 brand new rod and reels --- all donated by fellow tinboaters..

it really is something to see all these strangers lending a hand to help someone out. shows that there is still plenty of people who still care about their neighbors, without wanting something in return. =D> =D> =D>

I gave him a tackle box where I kept putting stuff into that I wasn't using... there's no telling what's in that thing. I didn't look in it before I gave it to him, but dang it was heavy.

If you find a wallet in there - it wasn't supposed to go and I didn't look for it... but I have a sneaky feeling that it's not there and that my dog ate it... sorry for him deciding whether or not he wanted to eat you last night - but I'm glad he did that... we never have people over he doesn't know so it puts a good feeling in my mind that he'll eat up whoever is not there when Tiffany is there by herself.

OH YEA>.... he does have his hands full with his new teenager... she's going to be fun to control