Steering on Bass Tracker

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just wondering if you could all share some insight. We are new to the bass boat world and have just added a bass tracker ProTeam 175 TF to the family. With the weird and wild weather in Illinois lately, even though we've had the boat for 3 weeks, we have only just finally got it on the water yesterday. It was WONDERFUL. What a delightful little boat. It can really fly too. My only question is, that as cool as the boat is, it steers like a Mac truck (one without power steering, lol). Is that normal? Just a result of an outdrive? We are formally cruiser people and used to I/Os so maybe that's just all it is. Or is it something I should talk to the service department at BassPro about?

Thanks for any insight and help on this.

I've got a 04 PT175 with a Merc 60 smoke, and the steering is a bit stiff, suggest you check the torque tab on the OB and make sure to grease the fitting located on the steering linkage on the OB. Should be in plain sight. Adjusting the torque tab will help some, but you still don't have power steering.

hummm ..?
i drove alot of mack trucks...back in those days we had what's called arm_strong steering..
them old R_model macks where super tuff trucks.
i thought they steered pretty good.

yes..your boat might need a little grease.

:) :) :)

Thanks guys, I'll have hubby check into that.

Peabody: You got me. I never drove a Mac truck (or any other big truck) it was sort of an attempt to create an image. Probably not a good one though. LOL Hum... I don't know what "arm-strong steering is" but I know that after a few weeks of "driving" that tracker, I'm going to have good strong arms. LOL

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=318174#p318174 said:
FreshWaterLover » Today, 09:19[/url]"]Thanks guys, I'll have hubby check into that.

Peabody: You got me. I never drove a Mac truck (or any other big truck) it was sort of an attempt to create an image. Probably not a good one though. LOL Hum... I don't know what "arm-strong steering is" but I know that after a few weeks of "driving" that tracker, I'm going to have good strong arms. LOL

lol...you nailed it....ha :)
thats exactly what it means...arm strong steering ...in other words zero power steering.. except
your arms...
back when i started driving in the late 70s nothing had true power steering.. just great big steering wheels.
one of the first trucks i drove was a freightshaker built in 71 .. you had to be carefull not to get your fingers pinched
inbetween the wheel and the windshield..lol
it had a 238 Detroit diesel in it.. and a 4x4 tranny... 16 gears.. man !! if you missed a gear with that.. had to pull
over .. and start all over..ha.
i pulled liquids ..tankers... dang thing would beat you to death.. rode really hard.
people who say ...those where the good ol days... didn't drive one of them old semis..lol.
i now am driving .. I'm afaid my last truck.. 1999 peterbilt.. 379 ex_hood..
I've putt 1.4 million on her.. gonna try for 2.
pray .. the government doesn't change the log book rules this july 1st..
it will break me .. and several thousands of other owner operators.
call your senators... stop the HOS [ hours of service rule changes]'.......ok off my soap box.

yes .. i hope the grease .. will fix your boat.

Latest posts